Flexible Trim Advice

Old 09-11-19, 08:46 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flexible Trim Advice

Hey, I'm new to the forum but loving the knowledge share on here! Some great inspiration for projects.

I have a very specific challenge, I need to find a 90 degree trim that is flexible enough to follow a curved edge. I'm building a (star wars) bunk bed for my kids and will be finishing the front with thin plywood, the top will be coverred in padded cushioned pieces but would I'd like to add a trim piece so sit over that and present a smooth edge all around.

Lowes has wooden trim pieces which would work on a straight edge but I'm uncertain what to use to follow the curve. Any ideas? I'm going for a metalic/industrial finish and it has to be safe for a kids bedroom.

Example photo from Galaxies Edge and progress shots attached.

Thanks - Rob

Old 09-11-19, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Welcome!

I would suggest you go to Amazon and search for Flextrim. Then specify what your radius will be. It's not 100% flexible so you need to get it close to a semi-circle. If it will have straight portions, like legs, that needs to be where a joint is, and you will transition to a similar sized solid material.

Old 09-11-19, 09:46 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Many years ago I also made a bunk bed, and dresser and bed with pull out drawers all with birch veneer plywood. I however used a thin plywood veneer strip that came in a roll just for the purpose of covering a plywood edge. I used contact cement and it held indefinitely. Don't know if something like that would be available in a silver or shiny trim or even it it is available in colors.

I looked at the Flextrim that X suggested. Seems too thick for furniture. But maybe you can get sample piece to try out.

Old 09-11-19, 11:34 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The flextrim, looks interesting but your right might be a bit thick - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KSHLK1X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_z1tEDbXV9TR94

quite expensive too, I'd probably need 24 feet at least.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: