Question about Shimming Wall Cabinets

Old 09-15-19, 04:43 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about Shimming Wall Cabinets

I am installing 42” wall cabinets with an 8’ ceiling. When placing the first cabinet run, I can see that it needs a shim to the top right side. This may be a dumb question, but I can’t figure out how to check the left side. It’s against a pantry cabinet, so I can’t see if there are any gaps in that area. I don’t have access overhead, so I can’t look from the top. I appreciate any suggestions. This is my first time installing wall cabinets, and I’m trying to learn as much as possible.

Old 09-15-19, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Use a level and see if it is leaning. outside of cabinet will be same as inside.

Old 09-15-19, 04:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I start by carefully measuring the area with an accurate level. I check the ceiling for level and note the lowest point. Then check your pantry cabinet for plumb and note where it is proud (sticking out) where your uppers will meet it. Those two points, where the ceiling is low and the pantry sticks out the furthest, dictate where your upper cabinets will be located as that is where your uppers will hit.

With your uppers touching those two points and make the uppers level. Don't forget that the bottom off all your upper cabinets must be in line and straight. Hopefully everything fits nice a straight without odd gaps but if there are gaps they can be covered with molding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: