Hiding Gap Between Ceiling and Wall Cabinets

Old 09-17-19, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hiding Gap Between Ceiling and Wall Cabinets

I am hanging wall cabinets for the first time, and I spent quite a while reading and watching YouTube videos. Some of the other members here were very helpful in pointing me in the right direction. I have one final issue that I'm concerned about and then I think I'm ready to go.

We had wanted to maximize storage and went with 42" cabinets. The ceiling is 8'. If I could do this all over again, I would have opted for 36". On 2 of the walls, a 1/2" gap opens as you to move to the right. What is the best way to handle this? I was thinking about bringing the cabinets down a certain distance from the ceiling, so that I could install some type of molding. I do like crown, but it would have to be small, and I'm not sure if this would work (there would still be a gap unless I caulked it). I saw online where someone used some type of 2 piece molding and that looked very nice.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much to lower them or what type of molding to consider. I know lowering them will shorten the backsplash (not sure how much of a concern that is). The other option would be no molding and trying to somehow conceal the open gap.

Thank you for any help/suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-19, 10:43 AM
Received 71 Votes on 66 Posts
Why not move the cabinets up?

Old 09-17-19, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
You should be able to buy small matching crown molding from your cabinet supplier.

Old 09-17-19, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
First thing i would do is verify that your cabinets are "really" level, and that it's the ceiling that is off.

With multiple layers of hot mud, you can float ceilings out so that everything appears just as level as your cabinets are. But 1/2" is a lot... depends how much you like mudding drywall.

I would not add a moulding unless that is the very last option.