Crown molding help!!!

Old 10-11-19, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crown molding help!!!

We have remodeled our kitchen and are ready to put crown up. Above our kitchen sink, we have done a bumped out valance. The problem now is that on the right side of the valance, there is a corner cabinet and we cannot figure our how to wrap the crown around the valance and butt the crown on the corner cabinet up to it. I have searched all over the internet and I can't find one picture that shows what we are trying to accomplish which makes me think that it's not possible. I have attached a picture because I'm sure I've confused you at this point. The angle that the crown on the corner cabinet would have to be cut is extreme and doesn't work out. Any ideas or do we have to rip the valance out and make it flush all the way across?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-19, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
You just need to cope the crown moulding to fit around the moulding you have installed on the valance. It will be tricky, but it can be done.

It will be similar to how you cope a 90 degree corner, but you have what's probably a 45 degree corner so it will be tougher to do.

I would probably make a jig so that you can turn the crown 90 degrees and cut it end on, while sitting in your miter saw. Picture a sled and fence that the crown can sit in, coming out toward you on the saw. Instead of the crown being back against the fence, the fence on your jig will be coming out toward you on the left side of the blade.... 3" or so to the left of the blade. That will enable you to have the crown sitting upside down and backward, in position 90 degrees from normal... and then cut the long angle required to cope that corner. If I'm thinking right it should be 22.5 right miter starting at the long point (bottom edge of the crown.)

Then cope the resulting angle, which means leaving the face intact, but removing the rear portion of the cut. Basically cut along the paint line of that miter cut. Fine tune with a rasp as needed.

Old 10-11-19, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Iím a little confused.. are you thinking I should build a jig so that I can cut the angle? I did that for the trim you see below the crown. It is a 46* angle, so I built a jig so I could cut that steep 23* on my miter saw.

I am cutting the crown nested using crown stops. I understand coping although I still need practice. Some guys can make it look so easy! I am using a grinder with a flapper wheel.

i wish it was easier to picture what you are trying to get across...

If you think itís possible I am going to keep trying!! Hopefully youíre right that it can be done!

Old 10-11-19, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Yes, a jig so that you can cut the steep 23 degree angle. You can brad nail a cleat to act as a crown stop on your jig so that you cut it nested in position.

I use a jigsaw to cope... using the Bosch T119BO blades, which are nice for curves. With some practice its the easiest way to do it. You hold the jigsaw flat on the face of your cut and just follow the paint line.

Some guys like the Collins coping foot. I've never splurged for one. I'm used to doing it with a normal flat jigsaw plate.