best material for shaker trim?

Old 10-20-19, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
best material for shaker trim?

I am installing new baseboards which will evolve into all new trim everywhere.
I am even replacing doors and closet doors. from old cheap brown to new white shaker style everywhere.

I am considering using primed MDF from Menards. The material has a slightly rounded edge though, however the next option is primed popular which is 3 times more the cost but has a very nice sharp edge.

attached is a picture only im using larger size. for the base its 5" x3/4" no shoe mould.

is this a good choice? is the rounded edge a problem? like when it sits on top of hardwood?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-19, 04:29 PM
Received 112 Votes on 103 Posts
I am considering using primed MDF from Menards.
Here is problem with MDF, it's cheap, it's straight, but it dents easy!

I use this but only for stuff up high that nobody will ever have the chance to touch, anything at the floor or around doors and windows is pine!

Don't put it down low, you will not be happy!

Old 10-20-19, 06:41 PM
well i dont have pets or kids, but point taken. The next owner might.
i cant find a good lumber yard close to me, and the home centers pine is in really bad shape.

Old 10-20-19, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
That's also not baseboard. And no you would not use something with 2 rounded edges as baseboard unless you planned on covering the rounded edge with baseshoe.

I wouldn't use mdf for baseboard but some ppl do.

Old 10-21-19, 03:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I agree MDF isn't the most durable trim but it does paint beautifully. I put leftover MDF speed base in my foyer 20+ yrs ago and it still looks great. I've repainted houses with 10-15 yr old MDF that still looked good but I've also repainted 1 yr old rentals where the MDF was in rough shape.

Old 10-21-19, 04:53 AM
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
There are different grades of MDF so buy a piece and check it with a hammer etc.
Also the pine has a sharp corner so it may be just as easy to chip etc as the MDF's rounded corner.
Also you can then check what it looks like.
I do not think that you would want a rounded edge against the floor but have never done this so cannot say.
You may want to add a 1/4 round at the bottom or if you have a table saw cut it off.

I always dry fit baseboards etc. and then paint them before installing then all you have to do is paint over the nail holes etc. A lot easier then painting after install.

Old 10-25-19, 06:37 PM
I agree, i dont like the rounded edge on the bottom. They do not offer a straight edge piece of MDF. I would need to go pine or poplar. both are double the price and appear slightly crooked in places. i prefer to use a thicker piece like 3/4 " and not use shoe.
i also like the square clean look on the top. they dont offer somerthing like this in the trim department, the boards im looking at are in the lumber section. its where they have raw pine, select pine, and so on.

Old 10-25-19, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
Menards primed pine 1x6x8 are $11 each. (Plus 11% off this week) Just pick through them and get the best ones.

Old 10-26-19, 07:39 AM
yeah I agree thats best. Thanks for the help all.