Deep Hopper Window Sill

Old 10-22-19, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deep Hopper Window Sill

I have a hopper window in my basement which I need to trim out. The window has a deep sill....I think around 12" from the window to the room-facing edge of the drywall. While I have access to the studs on top, the sides of the sill are concrete block and the bottom (which slopes downward toward the room) is masonry. Two questions:

1. Since I'm going to paint these finished pieces of trim white anyway, can I just use plywood for these pieces?

2. What is the best way to attach the wood to the block and masonry? Can I use some sort of adhesive, or should I be using tapcoms or something?

Picture attached for reference:

Thanks,

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-19, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
You can use plywood but you would likely want to glue a solid wood edge onto the cut ends of the plywood. They also make iron on banding.

Generally I will build the trim and nail it all together like a box. Sometimes you can even put the trim on the box before you install it. Then, just attach the box to the framing... wherever you can nail. Avoid tapcons if you can by using construction adhesive. You can usually nail up into the framing above, then fasten to the framing that the drywall is fastened to.

If you have to use tapcons, it's best to tapcon wood onto the concrete first... Then trim the opening. That way you use finish nails to connect your trim to those wood blocks that you have anchored to the concrete.

Old 10-22-19, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If I'm planning to hide the edge of the plywood with trim, I shouldn't need the iron-on banding, correct? I wasn't planning to leave a reveal where the trim meets the board like I would on a door jamb.

Old 10-22-19, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
If that's the way you want to do it.