Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

What's the best way to fix cabinets pulling away from the wall?

Old 10-25-19, 01:39 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our kitchen has cabinets over the stove installed by the previous owner.

My wife likes Fiesta ware and so most of our plates, bowls etc are Fiesta, which are pretty weighty compared to some other types of dishes. We noticed a couple months ago that the one cabinet where we keep most of that stuff looked like it was pulling away from the wall, I checked it and it most definitely is. I took out some of the plates (and yes they are HEAVY) but unsure of the best way to fix.

The cabinets look like good quality cabinets but it looks like the only thing holding them to the wall is a single screw through the back of each cabinet, and the backing looks like pressed board or something similarly flimsy (it is bowed out on the cabinet in question and the one next to it).

The cabinet we keep the plates in butts up against a sort of entryway in the ceiling so most likely there are a couple studs there. Should I go up through the frame of the cabinet into these studs? I can attach pictures later if it would help.

Old 10-25-19, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
The question is, is the cabinet pulling away from the wall, or is the cabinet coming APART.

Cabinet face frames should all be screwed together so that they form one complete unit. Then they should have 2 screws into each stud... every 16". There is no way a cabinet should pull away from the wall.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 10-25-19, 03:01 PM
Received 649 Upvotes on 574 Posts
The back of the cabinet should be screwed in to a stud in the wall. Not just on one side but in four places. If they go to the ceiling then yes you can also screw into a stud or rafter
from the top. Also the sides should be attached to any adjacent units.

Old 10-25-19, 03:04 PM
C
Received 270 Upvotes on 221 Posts
I would remove the cabinet from the wall and reinforce the back. My cabinets have built in 1X3s for hanging. Locate and mark the studs and mount the cabinet using cabinet screws designed for the job.

Old 10-25-19, 03:32 PM
M
Received 251 Upvotes on 225 Posts
The key is to hit as many studs as possible.

You could also use metal L brackets and attach them to the top of the cabinet and a stud.
They can be either inside or outside the cabinet.
Depending on the room you will probably not be able to see them if mounted outside but check before installing.
Of coarse if there is no room above the cabinet they have to be mounted inside.

Old 10-25-19, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I worry about when you said you have a flimsy back panel If you can screw to ceiling or use the L braces mentioned you should be ok Do not trust the back panel.

Old 10-26-19, 04:18 AM
Specs from Fiesta Cabinets

Back Panel - 1/8" hardboard

Hanging Rails - 3/4" x 2 1/2" hardwood on upper cabinets. 3/4" x 1" hardwood on base cabinets.

Old 10-26-19, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
I think the dishes are Fiestaware, not the cabinets.

Old 10-26-19, 04:39 AM
Oops, my bad. ______________________

Old 10-30-19, 08:48 PM
G
Sorry for the delay in getting pics, I was on vacation. So here are some pics. First pic is the cabinet that is pulling away from the wall, second pic is inside that cabinet (you can see from the shadow at the top how the back is bowing). Third pic is the cabinet next to it which is right over the stove, also showing how it is pulling away.

The cabinets are screwed together as a unit, but does it even look like these are attached to the wall correctly? I don't know who put up the cabinets.

https://imgur.com/Jtbj8OI
https://imgur.com/Zz8Bvzo
https://imgur.com/Jk5tdoc

Old 10-30-19, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
I got the photos to open but it looks like the cabinet is pulling apart to me. Especially in that last photo.

Old 10-30-19, 11:55 PM
T
Received 64 Upvotes on 59 Posts
On your first pic is that grey caulking at the back of the cabinet? It looks like the cabinet is not sitting flush with the wall. Are you sure the wall behind the cabinet is plumb. They might have had to mount it funky if the wall is not plumb.

Can you determine if there are hanging rails behind the back panel (3/4" X ? for the back screw to go through before going into the wall) and not just a flat panel.

On that last pic if the cab was pulling away I would think there would be damage on that screw hole (with that much "opening" in the back). This is if I am correct in assuming the screw is going into the side of the cabinet vs the back. Of course that first empty damaged hole could have been the initial screw hole and the second one is a later "fix".

Can you provide a over all pic of the cabinets from the front to get a better idea of the layout?

Old 10-31-19, 05:49 AM
G
No that's not caulking, just old paint on the area where the cabinet used to cover the wall. I don't recall this cabinet being 100% flush against the wall but it was definitely better than this.

As I said the backing on the cabinets appears to be bowed out on both cabinets with the way the screws are in them. I don't know what's going on with all the screw holes. I can get an overall pic tonight.

Old 10-31-19, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
I would push the cabinets back tight against the wall (brace against the opposite wall with a long 2x4 cut to the right length, if you need help to really push them back tight) and try to screw some long GRK finish screws up through the top face frames and into the soffit framing. (Drill pilot hole first). A pair of screws in each face frame would help tremendously since your cabinet back is bowed and screwing the back more probably won't help.

Old 10-31-19, 10:59 AM
T
Received 86 Upvotes on 76 Posts
As stated by others previously, it appears the cabinet is separating. The cabinet may not be designed to hold the load your wife desire. You can and should reinforce the cabinet from the inside to some extent but afterward I'd consider reducing the load.

Old 10-31-19, 11:10 AM
G
XSleeper, that is what I am thinking about doing. I never realized how heavy that Fiestaware was until i started taking it out.

The cabinets over the stove are not against the ceiling but I think a couple screws in the cabinet where we keep the plates and such should help a lot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: