Best way to make quarter round follow an inside curve?

Old 03-10-20, 11:32 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to make quarter round follow an inside curve?

I've been working on a 100+- year- old house, preparing it for resale.
Reflooring one room made it necessary to apply some 3/4" quarter round as a shoe molding.
BUT - there is a curved inside corner, where a 20" section requires some flexibility.
I've priced flex molding, but for what I need, the cost would be $30-40.
As I'm already over budget, is there a trick that would let me use ordinary wood or composite molding?
The curve isn't drastic - maybe 3" or so deep.
All ideas welcome!

Old 03-10-20, 12:00 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I would try a base shoe. The thinner profile might give enough flexibility. If that doesn't work try a steam box.
If you have the tools yo could cut a curved piece of quarter round from stock.

Old 03-10-20, 01:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen it used but I suspect a MDF base shoe would be pretty flexible - I know the MDF baseboard is.

Old 03-10-20, 03:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,318 Upvotes on 2,063 Posts
The cheap, foam molding is quite flexible. If you use it I'd glue it and just count on brads to hold it long enough for the glue to dry.

Old 03-18-20, 03:15 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have a lot of options:

1. Steambox (as stated by someone else)

2. If it is to be painted, you can make saw cuts every so often, say every one inch, but not all the way through, which will make it flexible. Then nail it in place, then fill with wood putty, bondo, or even drywall compound, sand smooth and paint. (You would not do this on stained or clear-coated wood)

3. Use a 3/4 round over bit and then make your own curve on a board that is bandsawed on the curve, scrollsawed, or use a jig saw. Then recut with one of those tools after the round over is made; to make the quarter round...well quarter round as it is, sand and then install.

4. Take a piece of quarter-round, and rip it into narrow strips with a bandsaw or scrollsaw...anything with a thin blade. This will make the quarter round into strips. As you push the molding into the curve, the layers will slip by each other, then just trim the ends to fit. The molding you start with has to be longer then the finished curved molding by a few inches because the inside pieces will be longer then the outside pieces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: