Best adhesive / glue for wood to wood to fix a break

Old 05-26-20, 08:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best adhesive / glue for wood to wood to fix a break

I don't care about appearance. Looking for a short term fix for a piece of wood that cracked under too heavy a load. It's unfinished wood and I want to glue / attach a 2x4 to that piece of wood that cracked. Again, just for a short term fix till we get a replacement.

I had a 1/2 used bottle of gorilla glue with a gummed up nozzle. So I slopped it on both pieces (after wetting them). Made a mess and took a few minutes to get things set / clamped. It was already foaming.

Left it like that for 24 hours. A couple weeks later, it looks like the 2x4 didn't adhere well on 1 side of the crack.

What's the best to use to adhere 2 piece of wood together?

And now that there's gorilla glue on the surfaces, can I just use what you recommend? Or need to get that hardened gorllla glue off /get to bare wood again?

The original wood is 1" wide by 1/2" thick I don't think bolts / screws would work? Dirilling holes for bolts will make the original wood weaker?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-20, 09:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
At this point I would say replace the wood instead of trying to glue it. You'll have to be very detailed in removing the old glue before I'd even consider giving another glue a chance. But, since Gorilla glue didn't hold I doubt you'll get any other to do better, especially now that there is glue covering both surfaces.

Old 05-26-20, 01:28 PM
B
But if you wait too long (a couple / few minutes?) / by the time the gorilla glue starts foaming, it's too late for it to get a bond? the wood IS glued well on 1 side of the break. I was likly trying to clamp it all together and took tool long on one side of the break trying to get things lined up? Or got it too wet?

Old 05-26-20, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
How about this: https://www.amazon.com/FiberFix-2-In...764b8b4d1936b0

It was sold at big orange bit it appears to not be available anymore.

Old 05-26-20, 10:01 PM
A
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
if you was trying to glue the crack back together would probably use a thin ca

Old 05-27-20, 11:49 AM
B
I wound up getting more gorilla glue. The problem I think was that the glue bottle top wasn't sealable anymore / it was old, So I put it on heavy, fiddling, I was getting it on my hands / I had some paper towels / that got in there and that's why part of the new wood didn't bond to the old. (paper between them).

I sandpapered, blew out the dust, used more gorilla glue after wetting....

and then I had a metal c clamp that I clamped down the 2 pieces really hard. (I had been using the harbor freight hand lever clamps the first time.

At some point can you clamp too much / squeeze out too much glue?!

Old 05-27-20, 12:34 PM
T
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
You should use their wood glue for your project rather than the foaming stuff.

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-wood-glue/

Glue 2 pieces of 2X4 together with this and the fibers will tear out before the glue releases.

Old 05-27-20, 02:20 PM
C
Received 61 Votes on 49 Posts
I don't know if it's the best glue for the job but I have relied on Tite Bond carpenters glue for a lot of years. Properly applied it makes a very strong joint.