Cabinet Side Separation

Old 06-06-20, 11:55 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cabinet Side Separation

Before we begin, I know there was too much weight in the cabinet. My mother died, and trying to integrate her corningware with mine a couple of weeks ago obviously proved to be too heavy. I won't make that mistake again. That said, my house was built in 1970, and I am pretty sure these are the original cabinets. At some point, I want to rehange and refinish them, but I am in the midst of emptying her storage units and just paid for a cremation, etc.,during a pandemic. It's simply not in the cards to do an overhaul or make any major expenditures right now.

The attached pics show the separation on the lefthand side of the cabinet. Is it possible to repair this in place? The rest of the cabinet is firmly affixed, and this is not occurring on the right side.

Attached Images    
Old 06-06-20, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
Sorry, but your pictures are just a bit too fuzzy to make out any details.

In your first photo... what are we looking at? Is there a gap there above the door? Making the left cabinet sit lower than the one on its right?

And in the third photo, has the side of the cabinet pulled away from the wall and from the back of the cabinet?

These look like homemade, or custom made cabinets... I doubt there is any fixing them, but if there is... a carpenter would have to cut the existing nails jack things back up and force them back together with lots of glue and try to renail it back together... maybe adding some corner bracing inside to help tie those broken corners together.

Old 06-07-20, 03:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
I suspect the best way to repair it is to take it down, put it back together and then rehang it.

Old 06-07-20, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
I'm not sure that those cabinets are built as modular units Mark. But if they are, you're probably right.

Old 06-07-20, 03:51 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's just the top lefthand corner which has pulled away from the back. The first photo was only to illustrate how far the corner had pulled away. The damage does not extend beyond what was shown in the third photo.

They are modular units. The main cabinet shown is one box.That was the only reason for including the second photo.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: