Fixing a hole in a plywood ceiling - best adhesive?

Old 06-07-20, 09:43 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixing a hole in a plywood ceiling - best adhesive?

Not sure if this or the electrical section is the best place to post.

2 issues when I was cutting holes for recessed lighting in our covered porch. It has a plywood type of ceiling.

1) i drew 2 4" circles for where to put the light and started cutting to the wrong circle : (.

I figure I can glue a scrap piece of wood on the back side of the ceiling then glue the piece I cut out onto that board. (picture 1B with the red lines).
a) What type of adhesive would you use? construction adhesive? Wood glue? original gorilla? I can / woudl expect to clamp things together as I glue them
b) or do you have a better way?
c) what woudl you use the fill in the gaps / cut lines? latex caulk? wood putty (and brand?/ type you'd recommend?)

2) another light lands right where a 2x4 (laying flat / not typical ceiling joist positioning).is. For the mounting tabs of the LED recessed light (1 on each side of the light) , I need to cut the 2x4 in the area in the red circle / severing the 2x4's continiuity.

I figure I'd glue / screw another 2x4 above this one to restore some of the stability / rigiidity? I think the 2x4s are just there to have something for the ceiling to hold onto?

It's a tight fit in that ceiling - would glue work vs. screws to a attach a 2x4 to the top of the existing 2x4? It'd be easier to get glue up there vs. trying to screw things. And what type of glue / construction adhesive would you use?

THANKS!

Attached Images     
Old 06-08-20, 01:47 AM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
So the saying my Dad taught me, measure twice, cut once, guess it;s still valid today!

If you can clamp a waterproof wood glue would work!

Old 06-08-20, 03:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 423 Votes on 378 Posts
I'd use glue or liquid nail and brad nails [screws would also work] to secure the backer board to the backside of the plywood and then secure the patch plywood to it.

Old 06-09-20, 12:16 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marq1 - Funny! I was actually thinking / saying that to myself when drawing the 2nd circle... after realizing the first circle was in the wrong spot.

I think I learned that from a girl I dated a couple times, whose father was a carpenter (not sure how it came up in the discussion on a first / 2nd date). And I'm married 29? years. so I've known it much longer than that.. (but i can'r remember yesterday). And I can't think to cross out the wrong circle : )

Thank you both!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: