Am I being too picky?

Old 07-10-20, 01:04 PM
C
Received 76 Votes on 60 Posts
Am I being too picky?

I have told my contractor that he needs to correct issues with the handles for our kitchen cabinet doors. He refuses saying that I am nitpicking.
All of my cabinet handles are either off level or out of plumb to one degree or another. When the carpenter was installing the handles I asked why he wasn't using a template. He told me he had been doing this for 30 years and didn't need one. Is there any industry or trade standard for this sort of thing?

An example -

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

07-10-20, 01:10 PM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 582 Votes on 535 Posts
Guess he's been doing it wrong for 30 years if that's his idea of what's acceptable.

As an aside, he also didnt adjust the height of the cabinet doors first so that they are level. That's usually done first before any hardware is installed. Yours are a little off. Once that left door drops a little, or the right door is raised a little, it will be better. Still off, but better.

Old 07-10-20, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 582 Votes on 535 Posts
Guess he's been doing it wrong for 30 years if that's his idea of what's acceptable.

As an aside, he also didnt adjust the height of the cabinet doors first so that they are level. That's usually done first before any hardware is installed. Yours are a little off. Once that left door drops a little, or the right door is raised a little, it will be better. Still off, but better.

joecaption, marksr, the_tow_guy voted this post useful.
Old 07-10-20, 06:17 PM
J
Received 70 Votes on 65 Posts
If they think that's exceptable, then they need to go!

Old 07-10-20, 11:00 PM
Received 319 Votes on 299 Posts
He refuses saying that I am nitpicking.
Even after showing him this??

I cant believe this is the level of competence your faced with, then to have a GC make a statement like that!

I know what my response would be, hopefully your holding the purse strings?

Old 07-11-20, 02:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 268 Votes on 237 Posts
hopefully your holding the purse strings?
Worth repeating! your check book is always your best bargaining chip.
I agree with the others that it's not acceptable. As a former painting contractor I know you can't always get competent help BUT that never relieved my responsibility for producing a job done correctly. It's the GCs fault his guys didn't do a good job.

Old 07-11-20, 03:41 AM
C
Received 76 Votes on 60 Posts
Xsleeper - that set of handles is off a strong 3/16". The doors are off 1/16". I don't have much left over in the contract but I have refused to pay them anything more. The issue with the handles is typical of everything this GC has done on the project. I told him it has to be corrected and if he can't fix it to my satisfaction I would hire a finish carpenter to do the job including replacing the doors if needed.

Marksr - the paint job that I got is even worse than the door handles. There are places where I can actually see drywall through the paint. The "painter" used a dry roller and only put down one thin coat of SW paint and primer when my contract calls for a primer and two top coats. I had her back to "fix" some of her screw ups and then told the GC that she is no longer welcome in my house. I am contemplating with holding money for the extra coat of paint that she didn't apply. As best I can tell she used 6-7 gallons of paint for 7 rooms and 2 baths in a 2100 s/f house.

Old 07-11-20, 04:04 AM
Received 193 Votes on 175 Posts
You are not nitpicking. This is just poor workmanship. Start sending these post to the GC and tell him these are experts that are examining his work.
I know it's a lot of work and I'm sure you and the Missus are disgusted and at your wits end, but you should seek legal consul concerning all the workmanship that has taken place. Seems to me you have enough complaints and shoddy workmanship to make a case.

Old 07-12-20, 01:33 PM
D
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
forget sending these post, contact your state contractors department and FILE a complaint!

Old 07-14-20, 06:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
Start sending these post to the GC and tell him these are experts that are examining his work.
IMHO doesn't even take a pro to see that as substandard.