Tannin Bleed and non-adhering primer

Old 07-27-20, 07:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tannin Bleed and non-adhering primer

Iím painting my oak veneer kitchen cabinets. I cleaned with TSP, sanded (I was told to scuff with 220 sandpaper, but that really didnít seem to do enough, so I used an orbital sander with 120 grit).

I primed with stainblocking acrylic primer (what the paint store recommended) but after two days itís still tacky, and there are some spots with tannins bleeding through. The finish is also fairly streaky, which Iím not sure if thatís normal, or if itís a sign that itís not adhering.

What do I do now? Should I let it dry more? Would another coat of primer seal the bleeding sections? Or do I need to switch to an oil based primer? Do I have to sand it all off?

My top coat is going to be a Renner water based lacquer (if that makes a difference)

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-20, 02:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 239 Posts
Oak doesn't generally have tannin bleed and since it was previously finished it's doubtful there is tannin bleed coming thru the primer. Latex primers don't adhere as well to poly as their solvent based counterparts do. I don't like to use TSP on the interior as it's residue must be rinsed off well to prevent adhesion issues. I don't know if that is playing a part in the slow drying or not. It will look better with another coat.

I normally clean the cabinets [if needed] scuff sand, wipe down with a liquid deglosser, apply 1 coat of oil base primer and finish with 2 coats of enamel.