Building a bed frame

Old 08-21-20, 06:24 AM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Building a bed frame

I am in the process of planning to build a bed frame for a king size mattress set. My corner posts will be glue-up solid oak boards with a final dimension of 4X4". The rails will be 3/4 oak veneer plywood with a cleat glued to the bottom to hold cross rails. The plywood will be appx 7.5" x 83". My question is the attachment point between the rails and the corner posts.

I have a package of bed rail connectors that are 5/8" x 5" metal pieces where both sides are inset into the wood and the male end hooks over a slot in the opposing connector to make the two pieces of wood tight together.
I am concerned about the plywood having the strength to hold its side of the connector over the long term. I can pre-drill holes for longer screws and glue those screws in place. Should that be adequate to give the strength needed?

Thanks.

Old 08-21-20, 08:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Screws with properly sized pilot holes do not benefit from gluing. All that does is make it impossible to disassemble in the future. And, since your rails are only 3/4" thick you don't have the option to use longer screws. If you are concerned about strength you can through bolt the bracket.

Old 08-21-20, 09:24 AM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Pilot: The metal bed rail connector would be inset into the end of the plywood as it meets the corner post. Depth of screw hole is not an issue. I am also thinking of using a support piece attached to the corner post to help support the end of the plywood rail.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: