Help With New Cabinet Door Hinges

Old 08-24-20, 10:30 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help With New Cabinet Door Hinges

We recently did a built in cabinet in our bathroom and now itís time for me to put some doors on the bottom of the cabinet. My wife has asked for inset doors (Split). My goal is buy the doors prefabricated with the boring for the hidden hingeS also complete. Iím leaning towards Blum blumotion hinges. Iíve got a
few questions thatís Iím hoping someone can help me with.

1) Is a 1/8Ē reveal the standard for inset doors? Want to make sure I get the right size door.
2) Iím looking at the Blum Hinge 71B3750 but Iím not sure which mounting plate to go with. Blum isnít real clear on the pros and cons of various plates. Hoping someone can explain the differences for me.
3) How do I determine the boring distance for the hinge cup? The Blum catalog seems to suggest that 3, 4, and 5mm are all ok? maybe? The place I am ordering doors from usually does 3mm

Any help you all would be hugely appreciated.
thanks!

Last edited by bainbridgematt; 08-24-20 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-24-20, 10:33 PM
B
Cabinet Picture

Old 08-25-20, 02:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Blum hinges are adjustable so that is why the 3 distances difference. they will adjust for difference.
1/8 seems ok to me but not a pro. ask it the door maker tapers the open side 3 degrees so door will open easier in cabinet.can't tell about mounting plates but if blum they would be good.

Old 08-25-20, 06:23 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
You need to consult your door supplier first. Study their info on measuring, hinges, etc. Then come back to us if you still have questions. Most cabinet door suppliers have very detailed descriptions and instructions.

Old 08-25-20, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 988 Votes on 899 Posts
With inset doors you have to make darn sure everything is perfectly square.

1/8 (basically 3mm) is okay with me, but some like them a little tighter.

I'm not sure I can explain it in a way you'd understand. The Blum catalogs will give you all the info you need if you study them. Woodworkers supply also has helpful videos if you visit their website and search for your hinge. If you look at your hinge page on Blum's site and look at the table on the upper right, that table explains there are 2 plate options for that hinge when used on 19-20mm (3/4) thick inset doors. 0mm and 3mm. That is the hinge spacing that the thickness of the plate will give you when you first clip it on.

Here is my best attempt at explaining it:

The distance that the bore is drilled, as measured from the door edge can be anywhere from 3 to 7mm, depending on your needs. The chart tells you that.

A 0mm plate, used when the cup bore has been drilled 7mm from the door edge would place the door tight against the cabinet when you clip it on. You could then adjust your hinge in only one direction, backing it away from the cabinet to increase your clearance. But, if you change the distance you drill the bore from the door edge, that reduces the clearance around the door edge by X amount. So if you use the 0mm plate and the distance from the edge of the bore to the door edge is 4mm, you reduced your edge clearance by -3 mm. (Which by no chance is the amount of edge clearance you desire) By moving the door away, you can now adjust the hinge +/-. That is a good thing.

A 3mm plate, used when the cup bore has been drilled 7mm from the door edge will give you your -3mm edge spacing. This is the exact same thing as using a 0mm plate, with the bore drilled 4mm from the door edge. And you will have the ability to adjust the hinge +/-. Also a good thing.

Then you also usually want to take into consideration the amount you can adjust the hinge... basically +/- 2mm. If you drill your 35mm bore too close or too far, you can accidentally negate any adjustment in the hinge... (your +/- 2mm.) But all this depends on the reveal you want and the size your doors are in relation to your opening size.

To summarize, if you want a 1/8" reveal, you would either use the 0mm plate, and your bore would be spaced 4mm from the door edge, or your would use the 3mm plate, and your bore would be spaced 7mm from the door edge. You would make all your doors exactly 1/4" smaller than your openings. But it's often easier to work in mm to be precise and avoid any mistakes in conversion... so if you want a 3mm reveal, you would make them 6mm smaller than your openings.

Old 08-25-20, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
If your door company standard is 3mm, and you use a 0mm plate, that moves the door edge 4mm away from the cabinet. If you like a 2mm reveal, that would be perfect and still allow you to be in the middle of your 2mm +/- adjustment.

In that case your doors would need to be 4mm smaller than your openings.

If you make your door reveal 3mm, that will still work but you just would not have an equal amount of adjustment in all directions, which might bite you in the butt... if you run out of adjustment.

But definitely measure your openings for square. If they are the least bit off, you will want more reveal in order to fit the door in the opening. Inset doors will look terrible if the cabinet is out of square.

Blum is VERY clear in their instructions, it just hard to wrap your head around it all.

Old 08-30-20, 03:54 PM
B
Most cabinet door suppliers have very detailed descriptions and instructions.
Any recommendations on suppliers? I'm must going off a web search.

Old 08-30-20, 04:07 PM
B
Thanks guys! I think I am finally understanding this. You guys have been a huge help!

But definitely measure your openings for square. If they are the least bit off, you will want more reveal in order to fit the door in the opening. Inset doors will look terrible if the cabinet is out of square.
I measured and the everything seems pretty square to me, but I don't know how square is square. They diagonal is about 1/16" to 1/8" different. Is that close enough?

I'm going to outline what I think now on the hinges and see if you guys can confirm it.
1) So I am going withe a 19mm door. That would imply that my minimum reveal is 1mm in order for the door to be able to open.
1a) I should have the door manufacturer ease the door edges to meet the minimum clearance (looks like 1/32 per the blum guidance).
2) I am thinking a 3mm reveal is appropriate for the look we want. That means if I go with a 0mm plate I need to offset the boring distance by 4mm.
3)If i went with a 3mm plate it'd be a 7mm boring distance but I think that would peg my distance and only allow me to adjust one direction (thus the 0mm plate makes more sense)
4) Since I want a 3 mm reveal, I need to make my door 6mm shorter (3 top and bottom) and 4.5 mm narrower (3 for the edge and 1.5 for the middle where the two doors split).

Two more question as well.
1)It looks like I have a few options for a 0mm plate. Any pros and cons to them? Which one do you guys like to use?
A) One-piece wing plate (zinc or steel)
B) Cam plate
C) Two piece wing plate (zinc)
D) Cam in-line plate

2) Do you all use a tool for transferring the hole patter for the plates to the door? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that.

Old 08-30-20, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Woodworkerexpress dot com has a nice website and videos, competitive pricing.

As for the openings, 1/8" out of square is a lot. If you wanted to try to picture it you ought to buy a 2x2 square of plywood from the box store and cut it down to size. (1/4" smaller than your opening) then try to shim that equally into your opening and you will see what I mean. If you get the sides to look straight, the top and bottom will look crooked. If you make the top land bottom look straight, the sides will look crooked. So you have to split the difference to try to hide part of it on each side.

Assuming your sides are all parallel, (same width top and bottom) you will find that even with 1/8" reveal that something 1/8" out of square will be hard to hide. But by shimming a piece of perfectly square plywood into the opening with tapered shims, you will be able to visualize the gap around the door. You definitely can't do the minimum reveal.

Everything you said above sounds correct. Personally I prefer "c". Specifically 175H9100. Cant tell you the ins and outs of every plate, but I like C and I like to use all 3 holes regardless of whether or not I'm using a wide swing hinge. Be sure you have (or order) screws, most don't come with them.

You will have the doors first, (right?) and they are drilling them the way it sounds. So your plate heights will be based on the where they drill the cup holes for the hinges on the doors. I don't have a template, I just measure to the center lines that they indicate on the specs and predrill. I usually only mark the back hole location, predrill it, then mount the plate. I use a combination square to align the plate square to the cabinet front and then tighten that back screw. (I do that for all the plates so that they are all set) Then once they are all up I go back and use a vix bit to drill the other 2 holes on all the plates and then come back and install all those screws.

Old 08-30-20, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
I guess rereading your post (#8), #3 is wrong. You would still have +/- your 2mm adjustment, just like I said in the earlier reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: