Glue Squeeze on Pre- Stained Wood

Old 09-07-20, 10:55 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glue Squeeze on Pre- Stained Wood

I'm using screen molding to cover the edges of a veneered plywood board that I'm using as a table top. I want the screen molding to have a different color stain than the plywood board. In order to ensure tight, clean lines between the two colors, I'm planning on staining before I glue the molding to the plywood edges. If I do this, will glue squeeze leave a "stain" on the stained wood, or can I prevent that as long as I wipe off excess glue squeeze immediately? I don't want to have to sand or do anything that might lessen the contrast between the two stain colors. I plan to use polyurethane as a last step, after staining and gluing, in order to have a continuous polyurethane layer across both the plywood and screen molding, unless I'm convinced by anyone to use stain and polyurethane before gluing. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-20, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Prestaining is a good idea if you want to be sure to not have any glue marks. Glue seals the wood and prevents the stain from being absorbed.

Problem is, if you want the solid wood edge to be perfectly smooth and flush with the plywood, you typically dont do it that way.

Because typically you want to sand that transition to make it almost seamless. If you go that route, you would want to glue the plywood edge, nail on the edging, wipe off any glue that squeezes out, (wipe it as quickly as you can... wipe it twice... last wipe with clean warm water and a clean rag) and then sand that edge where the veneer meets the solid wood, so that they are perfectly flush. This also opens the grain on the wood and ensures you got all the glue off. Then you would stain. If you wanted 2 colors you would need to mask off the wood with frog tape and go very easy on the stain, not dousing it... and do the light stain first... darker stain second. Then after its dry, maybe spray on a light coat of poly with a spray can to ensure it is sealed. Then remove the tape and stain the other side. Then you would be ready to poly.

Old 09-07-20, 11:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know if the stain affects the glue or not. I would poly the top piece before assembly as that will make it easier to wipe off excess glue. I'd probably stain/poly both pieces, use a thin bead of liquid nail and then use brad nails to secure the screen mold.

Old 09-07-20, 01:06 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The glue will effect the stain, so stain each piece seperately, then install blue tape per dry set up so when pieces are glued it goes on tape and not other stained wood, then after assembly clean up remove tape then poly (use water based much better) everything!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: