Bar top

Old 10-09-20, 02:57 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bar top

I'm building a bar top out of ponderosa pine. I'll be using a 2x12 and 2x8 joining on the long edge. My plan is to use a biscuit joiner as well as gorilla glue along the entire edge. The biscuits will be placed between 8-12" apart and then clamped. The bar top will be screwed in place from the bottom (inside) of the base cabinets. There are 4 cabinets measuring 33" wide making the bar top 11' plus a couple of inches of a side overhang. Each cabinet has 4 corner braces which will be used to put the screws through.
I also put in a couple of furring strips in the middle of the cabinet top to catch the middle of the board for each cabinet. Will this work? Do I need to worry about the top cupping during the drying process or worry about seam separation after install? The top will be stained and have many coats of poly.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-20, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I don't know about the top checking but I use wood glue and biscuits. Never had a problem with seams separating just some checking on some popular I was working with.

Old 10-09-20, 05:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but please explain the terminology of "checking".

Old 10-09-20, 06:42 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
I've never been a fan of Gorilla glue. It expands as it dries and causes more of a mess. Wood glue and biscuits and clamps should handle it just fine.

Depending on the quality of wood that you're getting, you might want to use smaller boards like (3) 2x6 or 2x8's to reduce the possibility of cupping. Higher quality, quarter sawn boards are less likely to cup also.

SandburRanch voted this post useful.
Old 10-09-20, 07:31 PM
S
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'd use wood glue and apply a coat of poly on the bottom. Unless all is quarter sawed I'd at least rip the 2 X12 and flip 1 half over end for end to counter act warp, then wait 2 weeks minimum to observe then install if all is well.

Old 10-10-20, 12:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
checking is the boards split on ends. You will see cracks that get larger as time goes on.
https://www.google.com/search?client...umber+checking