Hanging a TV on a cement wall

Old 12-03-20, 08:34 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging a TV on a cement wall

As the title says, I'm going to be mounting this TV, (42 inch Vizio weight 35 lbs) on the wall. Here is the wall specs. the wall is 7'6" floor to the lip, ceiling is unfinished. At the top of the cement wall is a 5" space before the sill.

Caveat: we are in isolation and will be until there is a vaccine. Wife is immuno compromised and we just won't risk it. so, I have to work with items I have on hand: I have screws for the back of the TV to go through the wood (1x4x8) and washers for a good solid hold.

Problem here is that I have only 1 piece of wood. So, I plan to cut it in half and mount the tv to the wood. Next, I will cut 2 small pieces to go over the lip, these will be from scrap 2x4's which I have. I plan to attach the 1x4 to the2x4 scraps using 2 black construction screws and glue. (Loctite Power Grab) Then I plan to put the whole thing up and attach the 2x4s to the sills again using black construction screws.
My concern is whether or not this will hold the weight. I have no engineering experience and hope someone here can lend me some thoughts.

Last edited by Marvinator; 12-03-20 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
On the TV screws.... they are metric thread and you must make sure they don't penetrate to far into the TV. When I hang a customers TV I use a plastic probe to determine the maximum length of the screw.

this TV, weighs about 10lbs, (ev42 inch Vizio weight 35 lbs)
Not sure what this means. The TV is 10lbs or 35lbs ?

In the picture..... looking from side.... is this what you mean ?
green = sill plate
brown = 2x4's
blue = 1x4's
orange = wood ?
black = TV

Old 12-04-20, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
The screw in the back of flat screen TV's are M4, M6, M8 or M10 and I've found M6 and M8 to be the most common these days.

Your plan can work if you do it properly. 1x4 can be bad for splitting especially when using screws near the end. I would pilot drill clearance holes through the 1x4 and use screws whose heads are flat on the side that will meet the wood and using washers wouldn't hurt. Do not use deck screws (I don't know what you are calling "construction screws") or similar as the side that faces the wood is a cone shape which can push the wood apart causing it to split.

Then, the next fun part will be hanging it after you have your contraption built. I'm thinking you will need a helper. You can lift the TV mount up and hopefully get it to hang in place while your helper holds it in place so you can get on a ladder to screw it in place.

Old 12-04-20, 12:49 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@PJMax, Yes, i have the correct size M6-1.0 for the tv, in the correct length to not work. sorry, I've edited my errors, it is about 35 lbs, not 10.
In your diagram, no orange. The tv would be attached to the 1x4s (2 of them). I plan to drill pilot holes for everything.

@PilotDane RE: constructions screws, I have nothing else with which to attach the 1x4 to the 2x4 or to attach the 2x4s to the sills. I had planned to pilot drill all holes, and yes, your comment about 1x4s splitting is important.

Mostly, I'm concerned about the weight. I had originally planned to use 2 8 foot 1x4s but only have one and cannot take the trip to get another one at the hardware store. I don't want to come down to the basement and discover a tv on the floor. LOL

Old 12-04-20, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
One 1x4 should be enough. You're hanging it from the ceiling. (top of the wall)
Two pieces of 4' 1x4 should be plenty low enough to hang the TV on.
Gluing the 1x4's to the 2x4 should give it enough support.

If you have washers....... use them on the screws. They will reduce the splitting.

Marvinator voted this post useful.
Old 12-04-20, 02:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
In the end it sounds like you know what you are doing and will make it work.

Marvinator voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: