Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Building a TV stand alternative to wall mount that will not tip over

Old 12-07-20, 07:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I want to mount a TV on a wall but I can't do it because I live in a rented apartment with 2" thick walls with no studs (just plaster with metal mesh in the middle). I'm thinking of building a wooden TV stand like the one on the attached image but I want to make sure it won't tip over from the weight of the TV and it will be great if I get some advice here. I'm restricted from the arrangement and furniture in my apartment to only a certain place and height position for the TV and that's why I'm using a TV wall mount that can change the viewing angle. The TV wall mount extends up to 59.6 cm /23.5" and will be used to attach the TV to the stand I plan to build. The TV weighs 24.2 kg / 53.35 lbs and the TV wall mount weighs 10.5 kg / 23.15 lbs. I wonder how long should the legs of the stand extend to prevent the stand from tipping over?
I will greatly appreciate your advice and any ideas.

Old 12-07-20, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A stand would have to be very large and heavy to keep a 50lb TV from falling over.
You'd be better off putting the feet on the TV and placing it on a counter or piece of furniture.

Old 12-07-20, 09:09 PM
R
Thank you for the reply Pjmax,
I have no doubt about the strength of the stand. The stand will be build with strong wood studs, main post is 2"x9" and the legs are 2"x4" and studs like that are rated to withstand 80 lbs force on a point. These studs will be attached together with metal brackets that can hold 1000 lbs. I'm not concerned about the strength of the stand I'm confident it won't break or bend, what I'm concerned is the stability of its design regrading the possibility to topple over.

Old 12-08-20, 01:01 AM
Received 426 Votes on 397 Posts
Its not the strength of the materials but the moment of inertia that will fail.

55 lbs of dead weight cantilevered over a distance of almost 2' that thing will easily tip over,

Best to use the table top legs that come with the TV and find a coffee table to set it on!

Old 12-08-20, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
I would recommend having two legs coming out from the stand below the TV. The single-leg design will allow the stand to tip forward left, or forward right.

The legs will need to be at least 1/3 longer than the TV in all directions. Including the farthest distance it can articulate out.

The vertical part of the stand needs to be turned 90 degrees or a 90-degree stiffener should be added. 2x material is not very rigid on the 1 1/2" dimension.

Old 12-08-20, 05:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Why do you want to build a TV stand then have the TV's wall mount bracket extended all the way out away from the stand? That is the most unstable way you could position the TV. Simply do away with the wall mount and attach your TV directly to your wooden stand.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 12-08-20, 05:42 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 45 Posts
I agree with every response posted here so far. I know sometimes we get these ideas & we just gotta make it work. Some projects just end up being more trouble than they are worth.

I agree with PD that you wont have to extend the TV out the full 23" to get the tilt that you want.
Secondly, if you really just gotta have it this way, I would suggest getting a couple of sand bags & throw across the feet from side to side. That should hold the back down & act as a counter weight.

Again, I agree with others. Just buy or build yourself table to set it on & throw a nice table cloth/covering over it & sit the TV on that.

Good luck.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-08-20, 06:53 AM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
The sandbag idea is the way to go if you want this set up. But buying a table or cabinet is the better choice. But even then you should secure the TV to the table vis screws or straps.

Old 12-08-20, 06:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
even then you should secure the TV to the table vis screws or straps
Our TV in the living rm sets in front of a window. I have a string attached to the back of the TV ans the window lock to guarantee the TV won't be accidentally knocked over.

I also think setting the TV on a stand/cabinet makes the most sense.

Old 12-08-20, 07:17 AM
I'm not a big fan of wall mount TV's. Pro's and Cons...
Pro's: It's out of he way. That's it.
Con's: Wires running up the wall, You can't change furniture layout, You always have to look up, tough to see if you lay down on the couch, pita if you need to get to the back of TV to "fix" anything, And if you replace it, that could be a pain also.
We have a TV setting on top of a very high dresser cabinet in our bedroom. It's as if it was a wall mount. Very uncomfortable watching TV in that room. Head must be propped up and always must look up. Can't lay flat or on side because TV is not level with eyes. Living room TV is on cabinet at eye level. We can be in almost any position and still view it in comfort. Also our cable goes out often enough that I must get to the back of TV to set up OTA antenna. Can't do that too easily if wall mounted.

Old 12-08-20, 01:29 PM
R
Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate your input.
To explain why I need this, I made a rough 3D of the layout of my tiny apartment and I'm attaching several images of it. The missing wall is all windows and a balcony door. I'm really restricted with the space and possibilities where to put the TV. The corner above my computer table is the only place. I'm a freelancer working from home and have to watch the computer all the time. In addition to using it as a TV I plan to use the TV also as a larger second computer monitor so I can watch it from longer distances when I'm on the kitchen table or on the futon or when I exercise. The place where the red cabinet is would have been a good place for the TV but it is kind of built into the wall so I can't use that space. I need the TV wall mount so that I can easily change the viewing angle. The last two of the attached images show the view from the futon and on the last one is with the TV angle changed.

Old 12-08-20, 01:47 PM
R
How about ideas with somehow screwing the wooden leg of the TV stand to the floor? I'm attaching a photo of the floor in the apartment. The little pieces easily come out but it appears concrete under it.

Old 12-10-20, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Attaching it to the floor is an option but would require a hammer drill and some drop anchors.

You said there are no studs in the wall, but this is not possible. There has to be something holding up the plaster and metal lath. Another option is to is some hollow wall anchors like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-...6260/202982713 Use them to attach a 2x or 1x board to the wall and then attach your TV mount to that.

Old 12-10-20, 04:23 PM
But I thought you said it's a rental and you're not allowed to put holes in the walls. Putting holes in the floor is just as "bad" and if landlord suspects or finds out you will be responsible for any fixes.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 12-11-20, 09:05 AM
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
Build a freestanding, substantial computer desk with an extended back that can support the TV. Here is an example.

This is a computer desk unit built with 2X6 and 1X6 lumber screwed together in a "ladder" configuration. The 2X6 legs at the back are higher than the desktop and support box shelves for printers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: