Correct Baluster Spacing

Old 01-26-21, 11:12 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct Baluster Spacing

I am installing a new newel post, rail, and balusters. In my layout I tried both a two and three balusters arrangement per tread as typically calculated. My problem is that with the two baluster layout I exceed the 4 inch maximum code spacing at either end, with the three baluster layout per

tread I come too close to the wall to paint in the future. What would be the correct solution to my problem. I attached a sketch with three options. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 01-26-21, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
Option B... 3 ballusters per. If you would have chosen wider ballusters you could do 2 per. Painting is not an issue you can always cut in behind with a brush.

Old 01-27-21, 06:37 AM
F
Thanks for your help XSleeper. I am going with Option 'B', I laid out a few of the balusters temporarily and it looks great. I appreciate you help and experience.

Old 01-27-21, 06:39 PM
F
Got a question XSleeper. I am going with option B, Would you shift the set of baluster to the right to even out the space at the wall and at the newel post? This would cause the lead baluster on each step to fall out on the nosing and not in line with the riser below.

Old 01-27-21, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
No. You might shift it slightly toward the newel, but not to even the space at the wall, and not if it makes every 3rd balluster fall fully on the nosing. They really should not extend beyond the face of the riser. At a maximum, it could extend 1/4" past the riser so as to be centered on the face of the riser, but more than that will look odd. Personally I prefer the way it is depicted in plan B where it is exactly lined up with the face of the riser.

Old 01-28-21, 07:19 AM
F
Thanks XSleeper I was thinging the same, it might look odd extending into the nosing especially to a stair pro. 99% of the people wouldn't notice, but it would really upset me if someone like yourself walked in and said aren't those forward balusters slightly forward of the risers (LOL). Thank you for your keen insight, it is much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: