Bench top replacement and color

Old 02-04-21, 11:06 AM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
Bench top replacement and color

So after 40 years my bench top is in pretty poor shape. Lots of gouges and scrapes and stains. Rather than placing a new top (using thin plywood or similar) that would involve cutting and remounting vise and drilling new holes for gooseneck lamps, I decided to fill-in all the holes with DURHAM's wood putty. I've done small patches over the years and it holds up very well. But this time I decided to cover the whole top with a coating of Durham's. The top is 3/4" particle board glued and nailed to 3/4" plywood. The wood putty seems to adhere very well to the particleboard.
My question is what would you suggest as a good color paint for the top? My first thought is a light gray, but maybe a dark gray would be a better choice. Also the front edge is starting to crumble. I was thinking of putting a metal edge on it.

You can tell i'm scrapping bottom for things I want to do vs things I should be doing. LOL

Old 02-04-21, 01:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I like to poly my tops but I assume that isn't an option. I like dark grey except if you are trying to find a small screw/nail or some other part - then a light color might be a better option.

Having been a poor boy most of my life I'd probably check out the mistints. Oil base will wear better than latex.

Old 02-04-21, 01:38 PM
I thought about the dark gray, also thought about seeing small screws and such. LOL
I think the light gray will do fine. It will get dirty fast but then again its a work bench.
At work every several years I replace the glass table (screen and window bench) with a new sheet of luan and give it about 5 to 7 coats of poly. Holds up really well.
Thanks for the reply. It confirms my thoughts.

Old 02-04-21, 02:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
thought about the dark gray, also thought about seeing small screws and such. LOL
Bet that is something that never crossed your mind back when you were young, I know I used to take decent eyesight for granted

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-04-21, 03:54 PM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
I think it should be what ever color you happen to have left over from a prior home improvement job that finally gets rid of that extra can of paint/stain, even if it's the Mr.'s pink vanity you painted 10 years ago!

Old 02-04-21, 04:54 PM
Oh! nothing like a pink work bench. Maybe I can put curtains around the back.
I'm sure there will be a goof paint when I go to work next Monday.
hmm...I do have red, white and blue paint. I could paint the flag on it. NOT!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: