Kitchen cabinet side panel separating from rear panel

Old 02-06-21, 12:25 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Kitchen cabinet side panel separating from rear panel

One of my kitchen cabinets has the rear of the left side panel separating from the back panel. I pulled the cabinet and want to fix it, but have no knowledge of using adhesives on a cabinet. Should I just put glue on all of the joints? Are there some rules about what joints should not have glue due to different wood grains and different expansions due to humidity/temperature? Should I reinforce with some extra wood and/or some screws? It seems like several of the joints didn't have adhesive in them. The area along the back panel was about the only area with adhesive, but it didn't seem to adhere to the back panel. Please see attached pictures for details.
The cabinets are American Woodmark purchased from Home Depot about 16 years ago. Cabinet is 32"w x 48" H x 12" Deep. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-06-21, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
Typically you have 3/8 of space between the cabinets when they are side by side. Measure the gap between cabinets in front and it should usually be the same gap in back. So assuming you don't have a table saw, I'd suggest you buy a piece of trim (any kind of trim) that is 3/8" or 1/2" thick. Or maybe 2 pieces of 1/4" lattice put together would work. Then shove those pieces up between the cabinets to push it back together again. You can squeeze a little wood glue in there when you are ready to slip the shims in there. And often, the interior corners of the cabinet will benefit from a bead of glue from a hot glue gun.

Old 02-06-21, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
I see you said you pulled the cabinet. In that case, use plenty of wood glue and clamps. Then run a bead of hot glue on the back side where it won't be seen.

gsjskibum voted this post useful.
Old 02-08-21, 03:41 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi XSleeper, thanks for your help and the information. The manufacturer's website says they offer a lifetime warranty. I sent them some pictures to see what they will offer to do. I'm concerned a replacement cabinet won't match these "aged" cabinets, but since they are "natural" maybe the mismatch won't be very noticeable and maybe I can reuse the cabinet doors to reduce any mismatch look. If they won't send a new cabinet, you have provided the information I needed to fix them myself which I will definitely do if they don't want me to ship it back. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: