Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Help prepping pony wall for granite bar top installation

Old 03-05-21, 05:41 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We are replacing our laminate tops with granite When they came to do the template they indicated we would need some additional hidden supports to go with the already installed corbels for the raised bar. I purchased them and was going to install tonight but found the existing corbels are slightly higher than horizontal 2x4 in the knee wall. I was originally going to install the hidden supports flush with the knee wall but now I’m not sure how to handle this.

even the edge of one 2x4 is slightly elevated vs the one next to it.

siggestions?

Old 03-05-21, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Is the top of your wall level? If so, attach your hidden supports on top of it. If not, shim it so that it is. Move all your corbels to match. Everything needs to be level and in the same plane. Pretty basic stuff.

Old 03-05-21, 07:25 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The wall is level and the corbels are level but not with each other. The corbels are high. The brackets are designed so that you notch out the 2x4 and install them flush. So the corbels will still sit higher than the wall and the bracket.

so you are saying then lower the corbels to match at that point? I’ll have to pull, cut and reinstall trim to do that unfortunately

this is the type of bracket​

Old 03-05-21, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Whatever the difference is between the corbels and the top of your hidden supports, add that thickness of plywood on top of the wall, so that once you install the hidden supports it will all be level with the corbels, which you say are your highest point.

Either that, or lower the corbels. Or add the plywood shims on top of the hidden supports.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: