Issue with pocket holes-loose joints

Old 03-18-21, 04:34 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Issue with pocket holes-loose joints

I picked up a Kreg jig to join some 3/4 pine boards for a few projects and did a couple tests joins.
Iíve got the jig set to the proper depth and the bit set correctly to 3/4.
After drilling the holes and joining the boards using the recommended coarse 1 1/4 screws the joint feels flimsy, like I could easily pull the joint apart or snap it with very little force. I am clamping the joint before screwing in the screws.
I am planning on gluing the joint for the actual project but I thought that the joint would be more secure for the research that Iíve done.

Should I attempt to sink the holes slightly longer or try 1 1/2Ē coarse screws? Will these be too long, I donít have any on hand to try. Or am I doing something wrong?

Old 03-18-21, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
If the joint isn't tight then the screws aren't tight. Or you don't have it set to the right depth like you think. If you are joining 3/4 to 3/4, you can't use 1 1/2" screws.

Old 03-18-21, 04:55 PM
M
This is how I have it setup. Iím drilling until I hit the stop and the jig is clamped properly.

Old 03-18-21, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
When you first start your screws, make sure the screw isn't pushing the other piece of wood away as it starts into it. Only other thing it could be is the jig is too far away from the edge as you drill the hole.

Old 03-18-21, 05:07 PM
M
There are some tabs on the other side of the jig that are set by the screw depth setting (3/4). Iíve got these tabs up against the board when drilling with the jig clamped to the board.
when Iím joining the boards Iíve got the boards clamped together so I canít be pushing one board away. Iím stumped.

Old 03-18-21, 05:52 PM
M
Upon closer inspection i found some sawdust/small wood chips in the pocket hole which were not letting the screw sink all the way in. I sanded down the inside of the hole and the joints are much better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: