Adjusting Base Cabinets To Make Plumb

Old 08-26-21, 06:42 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adjusting Base Cabinets To Make Plumb

Installed 3 cabinets in a row and woke up in the middle of the night realizing they aren't plumb. The wall behind the kitchen base bows out a good bit. 1st cabinet touches the rear wall but 3rd, sink base cabinet comes out almost an inch. I was so worried about making it level and flush in the front I completely spaced out on this. Would rather adjust it beforehand than have it become an issue with the granite fabricator. That, and if it slants out the way it currently does it will be an issue when laying down the tile floor. Is it possible to just loosen the screws and pop some shims in next to them then screw back in or would I need to take the first 2 cabinets out of the stud completely and have to drill/screw back into a shim then back into the stud? Trying to find the easiest yet proper remedy to this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-26-21, 08:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
You'll probably need the shims under the front of the cabinet, still need to loosen the screws.

Old 08-26-21, 09:11 AM
J
I've already shimmed under both the front and rear, the problem is the wail bows outwards so even though the cabinets are all currently level and flush in the fronts with each other they run on an angle now that juts out almost an inch at the end of the line while the starting cabinet is flush against the wall. Really hoping I can just pull the first 2 cabinets forward a bit and slide shims next to the current screws into the studs. Trying to figure out if this idea is feasible.

Old 08-26-21, 09:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
now is the time to do it, if you don't get them set right now the further you go along the more work it will be to fix it

Old 08-26-21, 09:28 AM
J
I understand that mark which I was I'm asking if what I'm proposing is a feasible solution to this problem. I'm still not sure if it is or not.

Old 08-26-21, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,534 Votes on 1,378 Posts
You can see it, we can't. Shimming the cabinets out to correct a bowed wall is going to result in a gap if you can see the sides of those cabinets. We don't know if the sides of the cabinets are visible or not.

If you have a bow in the wall it's going to look pretty bad when they put a straight piece of granite up against that same bowed wall. I doubt they will want to scribe the granite to the wall.

So the "best" fix is probably going to be fixing the wall since it sounds like it is creating the problem.

Old 08-26-21, 02:23 PM
J
Sorry XSleeper I guess I should've added that these 3 cabinets can't be seen from the sides at all once installation is complete. Left side starts in a corner and the sink base will be covered on the right side. The only issue I'm having is the roughly 1 inch gap at the end rear of the rightmost sink base which is causing the whole line of those 3 connected cabinets to run on an angle away from the rear wall. At this point I'm just trying to see if I can add some type of shims/filler block behind the leftmost cabinets somewhere to basically add a gap to those where there wasn't really much of one already to even it out to to match the largest gap at the other end, either next to the screws into the back wall studs or potentially taking the cabinets all the way out and putting the shims behind the screws to go into the stud if need be. So basically bringing the entire 3 connected cabinets equally away from the rear wall so that they will line up parallel with the rear wall rather than slanting forward left to right as they are currently. All 3 are currently level and flush in the front with each other. So could I just pull the cabinets a bit forward and add those shims behind them up to the wall and retighten the screws to straighten out the line? This way the granite could still but cut into a proper rectangle shape just a tad bit deeper but it would still run up all the way to the rear wall without having to be scribed or the wall having to be cut into. I don't see fixing the wall itself as a possibility in my scenario I'm just hoping I can adjust the cabinets on of those ways I mentioned. Appreciate the help with the responses so far folks, I feel like I'm almost at this finish line with this quandary.

Top pic is the front view of all 3 cabinets. Middle pic is above the center cabinet and sink base on its right. 3rd pic is standing to the right of the sink base looking towards the first cabinet with the rear wall now being on the right side of the picture. Hope I added this correctly and it can help clarify.

Last edited by JOSHROCK; 08-26-21 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: