Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Need help selecting plywood underlayment/subtop for quartz countertop

Old 09-11-21, 02:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We'll have a 2cm Cambria quartz countertop with either 1.75in or 2in mitered edge, preferably 2in. The cabinet doors/drawers measured 1/4 in from the very top of the cabinet. We're told to prepare the countertop by applying a 'high quality' 3/4 inch plywood. I have found 3/4in Birch/Maple plywood readily available at Home Depot. And then after the 3/4in plywood is installed, the fabricator will measure and let us know if we need to add more thickness to the underlayment.

A simple math showed that 1/4in clearance + 3/4in(or 2cm) countertop thickness + 3/4 plywood = 1 3/4in total from top of countertop to cabinet doors. That would make 2in mitered edge not possible and would require an additional very thin 1/4in or so plywood added on top of the 3/4 plywood.

I have looked for 1 inch plywood options for underlayment, and the only one available is found at lumberyard and it's a ACX Plywood made from Douglas Fir, which is a softwood.

Anyone with experience on this can offer your thought?

Old 09-11-21, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
And then after the 3/4in plywood is installed, the fabricator will measure and let us know if we need to add more thickness to the underlayment.
This says it all. He will tell you what to add. I would expect that if you want 2" he will tell you to add 3/8" or 1/2" onto your 3/4.

Old 09-11-21, 05:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The concern is from calculations it's already obvious that a 3/4 isn't thick enough for clearance and adding a very thin plywood on top will add more cost & might not result in the same structural strength vs just a single 1" plywood.

The obvious path is do anything the fab tells you to do. I was just wondering if anyone ran into a similar scenario could share their experience. I can't possibly be the only one to have had a 2cm countertop & 2 inch mitered edge.

Old 09-11-21, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Drawer height varies from house to house. That's probably why the installer wants to look. No getting something 1" thick is not the way to go if you want to get 2" nose. You'd need to add another 1/4" since 1" would still be dragging on the drawer. But it would work with 1 3/4". If i was doing it I would likely be using 2 layers of particle board glued and screwed together. Probably 3/4 and 1/2.

David_Lee voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: