Very ugly kitchen cabinet makeover

Old 10-14-21, 05:23 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very ugly kitchen cabinet makeover

Hi All! Currently a renter and have permission to spruce up the place with the landlord agreeing to pay for some materials. We already redid our kitchen backsplash, resurfaced our countertops, installed an above range microwave and a new faucet. All was done pretty inexpensive with most of the materials bought at our local habitat store. Anyways, I have my sights set on the kitchen cabinets next.

I donít even know what to call this style of door but I hate them. Considering this is a rental, Iím fine with investing my time but not a lot of my own money. Buying new cabinet doors is not an option. While our landlord is incredibly generous and willing to pay for improvements, new kitchen cabinets arenít happening.

I have an idea and I guess Iím looking for guidance on how to go about it, or a wise person to tell me Iím nuts and itís a terrible idea.

I want to trim off the (bevel?) edges to make flat outside edges, then add trim to the fronts for a shaker style cabinet. Then paint and replace all the hardware. I can probably borrow tools, depending on what Iíd need.

Thanks for looking! I also included a few pics of what weíve done so far.

Old 10-14-21, 05:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,527 Votes on 1,371 Posts
I’m looking for guidance on how to go about it, or a wise person to tell me I’m nuts and it’s a terrible idea.
Its a terrible idea. Add new hinges so the doors actually snap closed and call it good. If you are a very good painter, you could sand, oil prime, and paint, but that would turn out poorly if you do a crappy job or use cheap paint.

Old 10-14-21, 11:15 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
You've done great job. And I agree that those cabinets detract from the whole look. But I also agree with Xsleeper that trying fix those door will be a bad idea. Adding new hinges and pulls can do a lot to dress it up.

Old 10-14-21, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,949 Votes on 2,662 Posts
Your landlord is remiss in not having GFI receptacles in the countertop.
Hopefully they're on a GFI protected circuit. If not.... they should be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: