Recommended saw blade for cutting aluminum extrusion?

Old 11-04-21, 08:40 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Recommended saw blade for cutting aluminum extrusion?

I need to cut some aluminum extrusion frame on my miter saw. What are some recommended saw blade for cutting aluminum? I'm creating a DIY router fence with aluminum extrusion frame.

Old 11-04-21, 08:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
There are specific non-ferrous metal cutting blades available but a fine toothed, carbide tipped blade will work. If making a lot of cuts I would get a mist lubricating system to cool the blade and prevent galling but if just doing a few cuts you can get by without it. Make sure the part is clamped, your saw has a safety guard and plunge at a medium/slow speed.

After each cut, with the saw unplugged, rotate the blade and look for aluminum galled up between the teeth of the saw. Most hardened alloys (like with a T6 in their description) won't gall and stick to the blade. But, if cutting soft, un-heat treated aluminum it can be quite sticky and can clog the gap between the teeth. If you pay attention during the cut you can hear the pitch change as the tooth clogs.

Charlie2 voted this post useful.
Old 11-04-21, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Main thing is to cut slowly when cutting aluminum, and have it turned in such a way that any weak elements of the extrusion are solidly backed by either the miter saw table or fence.

I'm in agreement that most any carbide blade will work. The less teeth the blade has, the slower you need to move to initially start the cut. An average blade will work fine. Can't say specifically since you didn't include the size of your saw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: