Connecting the ends of furring strips together.

Old 11-30-21, 01:19 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting the ends of furring strips together.

So I decided to add a couple of more metal panels in the garage. As you can see, I was only able to attach the furring strips in two places (as the left end butts up to another furring strip that is using the stud in that area.

The new furring strips would "probably" hold what I'm going to end up hanging on the metal peg boards, but I'd feel better if I could somehow "connect" the left end of the new furring strip to the right end of the existing furring strip. What are my options here? There is no stud to drill into on the left-hand side of the new furring strip.

Old 11-30-21, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
As long as the left side of the next panel is attached to the left hand furring strip....
you shouldn't need to connect the two pieces of wood.

The only other thing you could do is to add an 18" long piece underneath and catch both studs.

Old 11-30-21, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 907 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Add a piece of wood below the strips and screw that piece to both strips. A bit of glue would help too.

Old 11-30-21, 04:01 PM
H
Good point PJMax. I didn't think that one through LOL Yes, the left panel's mounting holes will be attached to the existing furring strip, so I'm good to go. Thanks for pointing that out. Boy do I feel stupid LOL

Old 11-30-21, 04:04 PM
H
That's a good idea too Tolyn. I think since it's going to attach to the existing furring strip that I should be good to go, but I might through up a 6" furring strip that spans both pieces for good measure (in case I decide to hang something heavy on them).

Old 12-01-21, 07:23 AM
H
I decided to be a little "over the top" with this and took Tolyn's advice. I cut a furring strip into 8" pieces, then sawed it down the middle and used those pieces to connect the two furring strips together. Probably not needed, but that's how I am

Now I have some major reorganizing of my tools, but plenty of space to do that now. I really like these Wall Control panels. Beats the heck out of the old "quasi-wood" peg boards my dad had back in the 70s. Anyone remember those????

Old 12-01-21, 10:05 AM
Received 397 Upvotes on 346 Posts
Anyone remember those????
Still putting mine to good use.

As others will probably do after me.

​​​​​​​

Old 12-01-21, 06:38 PM
H
Holy cow!! LOL I didn't think people still used those. That's impressive (but I'll stick with my metal panels ). Thanks for sharing the pic.

Old 12-01-21, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
Hell yeah..... pegboard (hardboard) will be around forever.
We all have at least a little bit of it somewhere.

Santa's helper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: