glass shelves over sink

Old 12-28-21, 09:31 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
glass shelves over sink

I would like to put glass shelves over the kitchen sink from cabinet to cabinet which is about 37 3/16. I planned to use quarter rounds on each side to slide the tempered glass in. Problem is the length of glass I can find is 36 inches. Any creative ways to kind of extend the mounts out further to avoid having to get a piece of glass custom cut (pricy) and allow me to use 36 inch length glass in 37 3/16 opening?

Thanks.

Popular Reply

12-30-21, 06:20 AM
Marq1
Received 948 Votes on 861 Posts
planned to use quarter rounds on each side to slide the tempered glass in
10 inches deep and would be up higher to hold small potted house plants
You might want to think about how your going to mount this.

Your glass is getting heavy, planted pots are heavy, quarter round molding is not very robust and certainly not used for anything load bearing.

Thinking a board up each side, securely attached to the cabinets with grooves cut to install the glass or even boards up the side with support cleats!

Old 12-29-21, 01:49 AM
You will have to build out each side of the cabinets by approx 1/2" then possibly paint or stain to match.

36" of unsupported glass shelving seems a bit wide?

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-29-21, 05:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
I would be using heavy glass to span that distance so you're going to be special ordering anyhow. There are online calculators for glass you can use to properly size the glass. But, normal annealed glass 3/16" thick can barely support it's own weight over that distance and notice that the normal glass sold in home centers is thinner than that. I would be using 1/4" tempered glass at the minimum for carrying very light loads. 3/8" thick tempered would allow useable weight to be put on the shelf.

Old 12-29-21, 05:16 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
I would only use tempered (safety) glass here.
If standard glass shatters and falls there is likely to be a lot of blood involved.

Also you did not say how deep you want the shelves.
Any width or height that restricts your access to the sink would not be good idea.

Old 12-29-21, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Another vote for tempered glass. It isn't cut... (it's cut before it is tempered) so its made to order so you can order any size / length from a commercial glass shop.

If you want it to be less than 36, put a vertical board up on each end first so that the glass fits between the boards. The board would be as deep as the glass is.

Old 12-29-21, 07:01 AM
D
Thanks for the response guys. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I planned on using tempered glass. They have some precut online here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OP418UN6&psc=1

They are 10 inches deep and would be up higher to hold small potted house plants.

Now I am wondering though if 3/16 thick would be enough. I will try to find 1/4 or thicker.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 12-29-21, 08:16 AM
D
Ok, I elected to custom order a 1/4 inch tempered glass. My question now is, the measurements is 37 3/16 from cabinet to cabinet. Do you all think I am safe ordering 37 inches wide or should it be a little less to make sure it is not too wide any part of the cabinet? Not sure if there is a general rule of thumb when ordering the correct size to fit.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 12-29-21, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
One would think 3/16 of end play would be sufficient... assuming the cabinets are square to each other. If you have a piece of paneling or plywood you could cut it to size just to check that your length will work.

Only reason it wouldn't is if it's 37 in back and 37 1/4 in front. Then it might be a tight fit. And you can't shave the glass.

Old 12-30-21, 06:20 AM
planned to use quarter rounds on each side to slide the tempered glass in
10 inches deep and would be up higher to hold small potted house plants
You might want to think about how your going to mount this.

Your glass is getting heavy, planted pots are heavy, quarter round molding is not very robust and certainly not used for anything load bearing.

Thinking a board up each side, securely attached to the cabinets with grooves cut to install the glass or even boards up the side with support cleats!

Driedwater, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-30-21, 07:03 AM
D
Marq,

Thanks so much for bringing this up. I guess if I elect to do grooves, I really do have to get the measurements right, depending how deep the grooves would be. Support cleats would be easier, I think. I am thinking if I want to make it a little more pleasing to the eye, I could place something over the cleats to cover them up, or is there something that would be more robust then quarter rounds that would hold them up? (I don't have a router)

Not sure if this changes anything but I am going with 8 inches deep instead of 10.

Thanks,
Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: