Advice/ideas on bar design using Ikea cabinets.

Old 01-08-22, 11:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice/ideas on bar design using Ikea cabinets.

I'm looking to remodel my basement and add a bar. This is my first go at the back bar part using Ikea's Sektion cabinet system with Axstad blue facings. I have done cabinet work before (building carcasses and doors), but never worked with Ikea cabinetry. My hope is to be able to build an L-shaped bar in front of what is pictured. It would be open on the left with a 30" passthrough and wrap around on the right of the dishwasher. My guess is that I'm simply going to have to match the paint and custom-build something for the bar, but I was curious if anyone had insights on how to make something like this work using Ikea pieces... I was planning on a 20-24" wide bar with rail on the front, so I'm not really sure 40" upper cabinets will work since they are only 15" deep. I honestly don't see Ikea's cabinets working for the bar portion at all, but thought someone might have hacked something together... somehow.

Back bar area. Above the sink/dishwasher will likely be wine glass racks.

Old 01-08-22, 11:43 AM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
Base cabinets are 36", a typ "bar" height is 43".

You could build a base and set 40" wall cabinets, back to back and be pretty damn close!

single_digit voted this post useful.
Old 01-08-22, 12:58 PM
S
Good point. This was my initial thought as well. The biggest issue I see with that is simply how thick it will be. That would be a 30" width (2x 15") that seems too thick for a bar, especially when you factor in the overhang for stools and such. Realistically I think I'm probably better doing that with the cabinets to the back and then paint-matching a face for the front of the bar. But honestly I'm not sure at this point. It'd be nice if Ikea had an "out-of-the-box" solution for this... Modular cabinet sections that have a back panel and are already bar height. I can dream, right?

Old 01-08-22, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,966 Votes on 2,676 Posts
I see a lot of custom ideas online and at Pinterest.
Bars at Ikea - image search

Old 01-09-22, 03:28 AM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
That would be a 30" width (2x 15") that seems too thick for a bar,
IDK, 30" of cabinet with a 6" overhang seems about right to me!

Old 01-09-22, 08:42 AM
S
Marq1 Islands, yes. Bars? Not so much. The typical bar width is under 24". There might be the lower prep area in a professional bar, but I don't plan to do that. Also, my basement isn't big enough to accommodate something that big without feeling cramped. I think a single row of 40" upper cabinets on a base with some sort of front-facing is probably going to be ideal if I go the Ikea route.
PJMax, most of what I saw in that search was back bar cabinetry (like the pic I linked to. There were a few things, like using a Billy bookcase, but I think that was, again, in the back bar/wall design. I did see some people asking similar questions to mine on Houzz.com. I just figured people on here had done what I'm trying to with success in the past. I'm planning a trip to Ikea in a week or two to look at the cabinetry in person for ideas...

Old 01-09-22, 11:41 AM
Received 255 Votes on 220 Posts
Probably not the cheapest solution but you could buy an extra matching cabinet or two and use the panels and doors to make a finished back (front) on the seating side.

This is a toy box made from surplus cabinet doors.

Old 01-09-22, 12:17 PM
S
I had this thought as well. I think I'll still have parts I need to match with paint though. Specifically the side panels. But good idea. And you are right. It gets costly quick, even at Ikea prices.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: