Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

How to get behind finished kitchen cabinets to seal air leak??

How to get behind finished kitchen cabinets to seal air leak??

Old 01-16-22, 09:20 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to get behind finished kitchen cabinets to seal air leak??

Hello all. I noticed I have a bad air leak somewhere behind my lower kitchen cabinets. My guess is where the tile floor meets the drywall wasn't properly air sealed and the cold air is coming in and my lower cabinets and everything in it is very cold. The basement below is finished so I cannot work from underneath either.

I have narrowed down the problem area to the lower corner cabinet in the picture below. My question is how can I get behind the cabinet without damaging everything? My first thought was to use a Dremel and cut the rear most part of the floor of the cabinet but I think that may compromise the integrity of the entire cabinet.

Any ideas?

Old 01-16-22, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
You are probably wasting your time trying. There is no good way to get behind the cabinets. You could remove the toe kick trim and cut the front of the toekick open, but that would only expose the back of the toekick, or back of the cabinet. If that helps.

Old 01-17-22, 02:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 598 Posts
You could caulk the toe kick to the floor if that would stop the air flow. How big is the gap?

Old 01-17-22, 04:08 AM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
The amount of cabinet you would have to remove just to physically get behind it is not feasible, your cabinet would be trashed.

Get a Froth kit, drill some holes in the back corner and fill it with foam!

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 01-17-22, 10:28 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That might be a good idea. I was thinking of taking the toe kick off and filling it with foam or some sort of insulation.

I really think the issue is where the drywall meets the tile floors. I also think they put some holes in the floor/drywall to run the gas lines, water lines, etc and did not air seal them after. So the cold air is just bleeding in and the entire lower cabinets are ice cold. The plates, pots, pans..all cold.

The issue is the cabinets are sitting on that same drywall so the cabinet box is sitting on the floor blocking where the tile meets the drywall so I can't even get back there to seal.

If I use the froth kit/spray foam where should I drill the holes to fill with foam? In the rear of the corner cabinet?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: