How to shim window jams..

Old 01-18-22, 11:22 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
How to shim window jams..

Made 4 window jam boxes, they're all screwed together and the reveals look good. When putting my shims between my jams and rough window opening would I put 1 on each end a 1 in the center of each piece, or do you need to shim every so many inches apart?

Old 01-18-22, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Depends on the size. If they are 4x4 shims on all the corners and middle is probably fine. Any bigger and you would want another set of shims.

Main thing is whether it's straight and will STAY straight... wood likes to bow over time. If you plan to use spray foam on the jambs you want more shims and more fasteners. Shims and fasteners 16" on center would be good. And low expansion door & window foam.

Old 01-20-22, 04:59 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I don't have fasteners just shims. I'm making plywood pieces to slide between the jam and rough opening, then plan on nailing through the jam, shim blocks, and into the window opening itself to hold everything tightly in place. Using jam fasteners does sound like a good idea to keep the jams straight while I also shim around the window. Thanks for the help..

Old 01-20-22, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
I'm making plywood pieces to slide between the jam and rough opening, then plan on nailing through the jam, shim blocks, and into the window opening itself to hold everything tightly in place
​​​​​​​That's the fasteners I'm referring to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: