Dresser drawer slide bumper things

Old 02-22-22, 01:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dresser drawer slide bumper things

Hi everyone,

My wife recently purchased a dresser and armoire set and we plan to refinish it here shortly. During cleaning, i noticed that there are plastic-headed, nail in bumpers of sorts on the sides of each drawer, and then there are thumbtacks to the right of the center slide guide.

I'm not sure if either of these are original, but both pieces of furniture have them, and some of the plastic bumpers are broken. I was planning on replacing them. I'm not sure what they are specifically called but if anyone could shed some light on them, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 02-22-22, 01:04 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can see the plastic head is still on the one on the left, but the right one is gone.

Old 02-22-22, 02:25 PM
Received 249 Votes on 214 Posts
They look like plastic or hard rubber bumpers the keep the drawer centered. The protruding bottom edges of the drawer sides would slide between the bumpers and the side stiles. You can see where the drawer has worn a groove on the right side.

The thumbtack acts as a slide and raises the center of the drawer front a tiny bit so it won't catch on the front rail as it closes or as a bearing surface for a center guide if there is one. Thumbtacks can also be used at the front of the drawer grooves to minimize wear as the drawer dips down when opening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: