Converting Exterior to Concealed Hinges

Old 03-04-22, 06:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting Exterior to Concealed Hinges

Currently in the middle of a budget remodel of our 1960's kitchen. I would like to replace the exterior mounted hinges with more modern concealed hinges.

The cabinet doors are 3/4 thick slab front, but have a 3/8 rabbet around the perimeter of the back of the door, This rabbet recesses into the face frame when the doors are closed.

Is there any direct replacement concealed hinge for this specific application? I haven't found anything during my research, but thought this would be the group to ask.

If not, we will just go with a more modern looking exterior mounted hinge, but that would be disappointing.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-22, 08:28 AM
P
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
important to know the cabinet construction. Where would the hinge mount to the cabinet. Is there a face frame or is the wall of the cabinet the edge of the face? Look at these options. I think you want to consider an inset style hinge.

for a frameless cabinet
blum inset frameless hinge

for a faceframe
blum inset faceframe hinge

look at these 2 options and see which matches your cabinet style.

- Peter

Old 03-04-22, 10:13 AM
P
Thanks pjaffe - the face frame version might be just what I need!

Old 03-04-22, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,534 Votes on 1,378 Posts
I doubt those will work due to your 3/8" inset. To use the one in the 2nd link you would likely need to laminate 3/8" plywood onto the backs of all your doors so that the back of the cabinet door would be flush with the back of the face frame.

I think you will find that just changing hinges to some that are similar to what you have now will be a big enough headache on its own.

Old 03-05-22, 08:30 AM
P
Thank XSleeper. Given current rate of snowballing, I think I will just try to replace in kind, but with a more modern finish.

Old 03-05-22, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,534 Votes on 1,378 Posts
I recently had to change hardware on some kitchen cabinets for a customer that had the old 2 hole surface mounted hinges. I used the black ones at Home Depot because the hole spacing seemed to exactly match the existing and I thought this would be a breeze. Unfortunately what I came to find was that the hinges moved the door slightly to the side, like maybe by 1/16" or so, which created all sorts of problems with doors binding and changing the reveals. This was especially a problem on double door cabinets because the doors ended up closer together in the middle.

So if you run into something similar, don't be surprised. Those rabbeted doors can be a pain when they aren't perfectly centered. I've found you bend the door around a little bit after it's mounted without irreparably damaging the hinge.

Old 03-05-22, 09:02 AM
P
Thanks for the tip. I was originally going to build new doors, but decided to just refinish/update the old ones. I may live to regret that decision...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: