Elevator, folding away stairs suggestions please

Old 03-09-22, 08:49 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Elevator, folding away stairs suggestions please

I just finished building a shed with a gambrel roof and a loft. The shed is 14x20. I am trying to figure out the best way to get stairs to the loft without taking up a ton of space.

I have plans for stairs that fold against the wall, I thought about a set of stairs and connecting them to the loft floor joist with hinges and have a pull rope to pull it up out of the way.

I also have plans for a garage elevator with a hoist that will lift it up and down.

I am soliciting ideas and appreciate and help.
thanks

Old 03-09-22, 09:27 AM
Received 249 Votes on 214 Posts
1: Was the loft floor designed for a load with adequate joist size for the span?

2: Which direction do the joists run.

3. Is there sufficient space between joists to climb through or would you need to block out a space with headers, etc. (Or is your stair rising to the open edge of the loft?)

4. Details of
stairs that fold against the wall
Pull up stairs (and an elevator/dumbwaiter) should have a counter weight to offset the weight to be lifted.

Old 03-09-22, 04:24 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The joists run along the 14 span. 16 inch on center. 2 x10s with 3 of the being lvl sandwich with 4x10s and bracing between the joists. Itís pretty strong.

thanks

Old 03-10-22, 05:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
I think it comes down to what kind of project you want and how you intend to use your storage loft. Many of those folding stairs like in your first photo look cool and may be appropriate for a tiny house, aren't so great where you need a sturdy stairs for carrying heavy and awkward loads. But, it could be a fun woodworking project. I have only used one stair like in your photo. Mechanically it was interesting to look at but the small amount of slop/movement in all those moving joints gave the stair a loose, non-secure feeling.

A simple elevator or hoist could be good for saving your back by lifting those heavy loads. You may end up still wanting a ladder in addition to a lift. Lifts are slow when you just want to pop up there and quickly grab something.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 03-10-22 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-10-22, 05:46 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Ceiling joists 16 in. on center is too narrow for a folding attic stair(ladder?). Go to your home center to get requirements for required opening size.

Old 03-10-22, 09:51 AM
Received 249 Votes on 214 Posts
If it is a shed and not a garage you should be able to make good use of the space under a regular set of stairs. Storage shelves; parking for lawn mower, snowblower, canoe, bicycles, etc.; workbench (movable or stationary); even woodworking tools (table saw, drill press, jointer, etc.) on rolling cabinets.

If you insist on movable stairs a set hinged at the edge of the loft with a counter weight, or possibly even a set hinged at the wall that would extend out only about 16 inches when raised. (I can't imagine how to successfully counterweight that, though.) If code is not an issue a ship's ladder configuration would reduce the length and also the width.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: