Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Trouble drilling into side of kitchen cabinet made of composite lumber

Trouble drilling into side of kitchen cabinet made of composite lumber

Old 03-13-22, 04:04 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Trouble drilling into side of kitchen cabinet made of composite lumber

I have an island in my kitchen made of two drawer cabinets put back to back and clad on the sides with decorative panels as thick as the walls of the cabinets themselves. I want to put a metal bar across one side of the island to hang my frying pans. The double thickness is 1.5" om the portions of the double panel with the molding. We are having a devil of a time drilling and putting in the screws. Anyone have an idea of how to handle furniture grade composite lumber/? Special drill bits?
Suggestions, please.

Old 03-13-22, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,533 Votes on 1,377 Posts
You should look to see if there are any electrical outlets anywhere on the island, because the wire is often protected with metal... so I hope you aren't drilling into anything like that.

Drill bits plug up with certain materials like melamine and particle board, and you need to pull the drill bit out to clear the sawdust from the tip of the bit before it will go in farther. Drill in, pull out, drill in, pull out, cleaning the tip of the bit off if necessary. A new sharp drill bit helps but still gets plugged up.

octave voted this post useful.
Old 03-13-22, 07:50 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your rrsponse! The electrical outlet is in the other side of the island. But I guss it is your secod suggestion. We will try that.

Old 03-14-22, 02:45 AM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
Just make sure your using a new sharp bit. Even an inexpensive new bit should have no issues with a wood/composite product.

octave voted this post useful.
Old 03-15-22, 06:28 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Check the obvious. Make sure the drill is not in reverse.

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 03-15-22, 09:18 AM
C
Received 228 Votes on 186 Posts
Try drilling a pilot hole first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: