Warped Formica countertop seam

Old 05-10-22, 09:41 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Warped Formica countertop seam

Warped countertop seam
I have a Formica countertop seam that is warped. I tried applying a hot iron over cloth, but it didnít work. Maybe I should soak the seam in water first? Any help would be appreciated. Iíll try to attach a pic.

Old 05-10-22, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,983 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is the Formica lifting at the seam point ?
If yes.... it's going to need to be glued back down.
Gluing is the easy part. Cleaning under the Formica is not easy.
Air compressor with nozzle is helpful.

Old 05-10-22, 11:21 AM
Received 955 Votes on 867 Posts
Formica counters are wood with the sheet of Formica glued to the surface. That spot was probably not glued well and has come loose or, water may have gotten into the seam and caused the wood to swell making the situation even worse.

I've never know a repair that bad to go well, might have to replace.

Do not add water, that will make it worse!

Old 05-10-22, 11:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,575 Votes on 1,416 Posts
I'm betting the root cause is water. Water seeps through the crack and swells the wood underneath breaking the bond with the laminate. You can look into the crack or push down and feel if the wood has bulged up underneath. In that case there isn't anything you can do except start saving for replacement.

If you are extremely lucky and it is a simple ungluing you should be able to easily push the laminate down. Since it buckled I don't think that's the case but you could get lucky. You can inject glue under the laminate with a syringe and place a heavy object on top to hold it down until the glue dries.

Old 05-10-22, 12:11 PM
M
Received 236 Votes on 214 Posts
Most counter tops are particle board.
When water gets in the particle board swells and stays swelled.
There is not much you can do.

You could try scraping out some of the swelled particle board and then reglue the formica down.
You could also cut/router etc. a channel along the seam and install a Tee Moulding.
Problem here is that it will probably not look great and you cannot cut too deep or the two peices of counter top will come loose from one another unless they ae bottom clamed together.

Old 05-11-22, 07:35 AM
D
P.s.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like the problem isn't solvable. I'm selling the house in a few months and the new owners will probably tear it all out anyway. I was just hoping to find a way for a quick fix before we put it on the market. The company that installed the countertop is no longer in business, or I'd contact them to repair it. Thanks again.

P.S. I'm just now seeing all the great responses. For some reason, I'm subscribed to the thread, but never received email notifications when it received replies. What am I doing or not doing to get notifications?

Last edited by PJmax; 05-11-22 at 12:03 PM. Reason: changed notification
Old 05-11-22, 08:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,575 Votes on 1,416 Posts
In the upper right hover over the yellow circle and a menu will drop down. Select "user control panel". Then on the left under the category "setting and options" select "edit options". Then scroll down to "messages and notifications". Under "default subscription mode" click on the wordage to the right and you can change your notification preference.

Old 05-11-22, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,983 Votes on 2,690 Posts
After you are done typing in your post.... click on [Go Advanced] at bottom of reply box.
Scroll down to [Additional Options] and look for [Thread Options].
Using the drop down box and select your choice. The default is [Don't subscribe or Weekly Notification]
I changed yours to [Instant Notification]. You can change at will.
This sets the notification for this thread only.

I believe the default you see when you use the drop down box is what you have your global notifications set to. Dane's method in the previous post sets your global notifications.
I would think global instant notification can become very tiresome if you have a lot of threads.

Old 05-13-22, 08:21 AM
D
Thank you so much!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: