Question On Framing Lumber

Old 06-10-22, 09:02 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question On Framing Lumber

I need to order some lumber for my home and am not sure which grade I need. I have professional documents for my remodeling project, and the general notes say that all framing lumber should be "spruce pine fir #2 or better"

As an example, for 2x10x16 boards, one place has:
#1 Southern Yellow Pine Construction/Framing Lumber - the cheapest
#2 & Better Construction/Framing Lumber - twice as much as the cheapest, and says wood species may be spruce, pine, or fir
#2 & Better Douglas Fir Construction/Framing Lumber - a little more than twice as much as the cheapest

What is confusing me is that I thought the lower the number, the better. So, why is the #1 by far the cheapest? Is this just due to a much larger supply? My first thought is that although counter-intuitive, the cheapest option is actually the best, but I of course am not sure.

Old 06-10-22, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,535 Votes on 1,379 Posts
The only reason I can imagine why #1 SYP would be cheaper than #2 & BTR SPF would be if was locally cut (less shipping and not subject to Canadian import tarriffs) or maybe it has not been kiln dried, which is often inferior and unpredictable as far as warping and twisting is concerned.

Old 06-11-22, 04:12 AM
Received 595 Votes on 532 Posts
As far as framing goes all you need to care about is that the 2 x 4's are not twisted or bowed. And are they dry, free of lots of checks, knots or splits. Also it might depend on how you are using the framimg. Is it going to be exposed? If so you may want a nicer looking wood. If it's a wall that will be covered, will it have any heavy load being hung on it in the future? A number #3 could split when nailing stuff to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: