Attic Stair Rough Opening across two 2x6 Rafters - OK?

Old 06-16-22, 06:08 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic Stair Rough Opening across two 2x6 Rafters - OK?

I want to replace the small square access hatch to my attic with an attic ladder.

Problem is that the 22.5" x 54" rough opening frame (made of 2x6 lumber) has to run across two of the existing ceiling rafters. The following picture shows the situation:

I can do this myself, but at 73 now and I'm not fond of working in the attic heat anymore. So, I hired a local framer to do this for me. He's hesitant to do the job because of the short sections of the two ceiling rafters that have to be cut out. (I actually think he's more concerned about liability issues for him if he does it.)

Note that there is also one load bearing wall that can be used to add a brace to the trusses if necessary, as shown in this picture:

So, the question is: If I cut these two short sections of the two rafters out and install the 2x6 lumber frame for the rough opening where I show it in the picture, will this be OK? Will the modified area be strong enough to both support the weight of the attic ladder AND not cause a problem with the trusses holding up my roof?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 06-16-22, 08:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
You don't have traditional joists & rafters. You have engineered trusses. They can not be modified in any way. You will need a professional Engineer to examine the loads and design an appropriate modification.

Also, my guess, since it's not shown in your photo, is that there is not a load bearing wall to the right as drawn on your photo. There may be a wall below but I doubt it's load bearing in regards to your truss system.

Old 06-16-22, 10:27 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply!

I have since found some small footprint attic ladders that will fit sideways in the hall, so I have a no-cut solution.

Fakro Steel Scissors Attic Stairs

Last edited by WingMan71; 06-16-22 at 12:14 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: