Sliding patio door selection

Old 09-01-22, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sliding patio door selection

I am looking for a relatively high (not super high) energy efficiency sliding patio door. The choices are overwhelming. It is very hard to tell the differences. I don't care about the brand. I just need one with decent quality and energy efficiency. Could anyone point me to a source to educate me to help make the selection?

Old 09-01-22, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
When it comes to patio doors it's hard to beat the Anderson 200 or 400 series sliding doors. Exterior screens.

Also partial to the Pella Lifestyle sliding door with HGP (interior hinged glass panel) and blinds which basically makes it triple glazed. But super pricy. Screen is on interior... Rolscreen is a nice option as the screen stores hidden away when not in use.

No door is going to be "great" at energy efficiency. Glass goes by u-value which is simply a mathmatical conversion of r-value.

Average insulated glass with a u value of .32 is R-3.13. (This is standard low-e double pane glass... and roughly the minimum to qualify for an Energy Star rating). Good, but not great.
Better insulated glass with a u value of. 25 is R-4. (Usually low-e2 + argon and a performance spacer material)
Really good insulated glass with a u value of .20 is R-5. (Usually triple glazed)

But these numbers can be deceptive as they are often taken from the warmest spot on the glass (called center of glass), farthest from the edges of the frame. The edges are always colder due to conduction.

If anyone says they have a door or window with much better R values than whats mentioned above they are probably blowing smoke. Frames can be insulated but doors and windows are mostly glass... so it's the glass that matters.

Brand is important however, as you want a company that will be there to stand behind it. That's why Andersen is #1, imo when it comes to patio doors. The most Andersen door repair I've done in the last 31 years is replace a broken Tribeca lock.

Hong Zhang voted this post useful.
Old 09-01-22, 12:11 PM
Thanks a lot, XSleeper. It is very helpful.
I went to Lowe's website and realized you cannot buy Anderson's from them. I checked out Pella Lifestyle sliding. All the bad reviews are related to the rotting of old versions. My understanding is the new versions have solved the problem by special treatment of the wood. That is appealing. I have been looking for energy ratings but it seems they are not listed online.

Old 09-01-22, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Home Depot sells Andersen's. The floor models should have the nfrc stickers with the u values. If not, it's probably on Pella's website somewhere. Lifestyle is the new model, the one before that was Designer Series. Pro Series is probably the one with all the problems. Builder's grade windows.

Hong Zhang voted this post useful.
Old 09-01-22, 03:55 PM
Thank you, XSleeper. I think that I have got all the information that I need to make a confident selection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: