Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Redoing Stairway - Not Sure Whether to Use Cove Moulding Between Tread and Riser

Redoing Stairway - Not Sure Whether to Use Cove Moulding Between Tread and Riser

Old 10-20-22, 09:32 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am getting ready to replace the treads and risers on my stairs. I noticed that some installations use cove moulding where the tread and riser meet (under the bullnose). When I look at pictures online, I see it installed both ways. My thought is that if I fit everything properly (careful cuts using a jig), I won't technically need it. I kind of like the look without it, but in some installations, I don't mind it. I'm going to stain the treads to match my hardwood and then use white risers. I just wanted to see what the consensus is on this. Thanks!

Old 10-20-22, 11:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The only time I've seen cove or shoe molding used is when the carpentry wasn't that stellar.

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 10-20-22, 12:52 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you! That's kind of what I was thinking but just wasn't sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: