Wall book shelves

Old 12-26-22, 05:07 AM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Wall book shelves

Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas like I did.

My wife would like to have bookshelves built along an outside wall in my living room which is about 17 feet long. The room is heated by baseboard hot water and the wall where she would like the shelves is a heated wall. My question is how much will the room's heat be effected if that wall is under shelving? The other heated wall is about 14 feet long. And is there something that could be done to make it work other than moving the baseboard heat, which does not excite me at all? Also, we got down to 3 degrees overnight this past Friday so it does get cold here in SE Pa. Thank you very much and I hope you have a Happy New Year too!

Last edited by erniebanks; 12-26-22 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Had to add something
Old 12-26-22, 05:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,267 Upvotes on 2,019 Posts
Anything that impedes airflow is going to hurt your heating performance. Trapping the radiator in a nook below the shelving is not good. The more room you can leave for the radiator the better but that runs into aesthetic issues. The radiator really should be relocated to outer edge of the bookshelf so it has the same airflow as it did when it was against the wall.

Old 12-26-22, 10:43 AM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks, Pilot Dane. It probably won't be too difficult to move the baseboard heat out to the front of the shelving so I will go with that. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: