Join Closet Door Frame

Old 02-03-23, 04:30 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Join Closet Door Frame

Hi, sorry if this is not the right place since it might be an insult to real wood furniture, but I have IKEA closet doors where the corners separated. So instead of the door being a rectangle like normal, it's like a parallelogram where one corner hits the ground.

I hope this is a good enough picture. See HERE

I was wondering the best way to going about fixing them and making them sturdy so that they don't separate again.

Thanks.

Old 02-03-23, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,721 Upvotes on 1,545 Posts
About all you could do there is take the doors off, lay them on sawhorses, then glue and clamp them, checking them for square with a tape measure (diagonal measurements should be equal, corner to corner) and then wait a few hours while the glue sets up.

Old 02-03-23, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Web clamps like these work pretty well for large items. The strap needs to be long enough to go around the entire door perimeter and this is one of the longest and easiest to roll out and tighten up again.

It's best to not move or stress the door until the glue is fully cured. So you might need to glue one one day, and one the next. Or one early morning, and the other later in the day. Give them as much time as you reasonably can... especially if it's not really wood.

Old 02-06-23, 07:45 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thank you XSleeper

Is there any recommended adhesive, or any wood glue will do?

Also, for the corners that are still joined, do you recommend separating and then re-gluing them?

Old 02-06-23, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
I would not separate corners that are still intact. And yes, any wood glue that cleans up with water. I would not advise a polyurethane glue, they tend to make a mess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: