Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

How To Replace or Repair Peeling Bathroom Cabinet Faces?

Old 04-01-23, 09:34 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Hello,

I am currently in the final stages of renovating our condo and I have a question about replacement cabinet fronts. I have attached a number of pictures from my bathroom cabinets that are approximately 20 years old and you can see the plastic is peeling on many of the drawer faces and on the top of the cabinet doors (see attached pictures).

My question is how best to repair or replace these? Should I try and find pre-constructed ones that are painted white from the factory? Can this plastic be taken off then painted?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I have 2 bathrooms that both have this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-01-23, 02:50 PM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
Unfortunately due to issues with posting pictures we can see what you have but if it's peeling then what you have is a very cheap cabinet, most likely particle board construction with a thin plastic vender, Can it be repaired, probably, removing and regluing with contact cement but might be easire to replace the cabinet.

Old 04-02-23, 06:40 AM
G
Marq1 - yes, I'm pretty sure these are cheap cabinets as the plastic is indeed peeling. I am wanting to replace the cabinets fronts.

Old 04-02-23, 12:10 PM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
I am wanting to replace the cabinets fronts.
Sorry, still cant see the pictures, yes that is an excellent option short of replacing the entire cabinet!

Old 04-06-23, 07:31 AM
G
Quick update - I believe I have found a local company that can build me RTF cabinet door and drawers for a very good price. Since this is rental, I'm ok with it being RTF since our other bathroom is just as old (20 years), but does not have any peeling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: