Shaving down header

Old 03-02-24, 01:11 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shaving down header

Several years ago, we replaced our overhead garage door with French Doors. We failed to modify the header (framing above the doors), but rather jerry-finished the immediate area above the door. We wanted to run a continuous piece of drywall from the ceiling to the edge of the door frame, but encountered issues with a protruding 2 x 4. What would be the easiest way to shave down the 2 x 4 creating the problem? (See the attached). The 2 x 4 in question occurs directly below the bottom of the drywall.

Old 03-02-24, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
You don't need to shave the header you need to extend it so that it also even with the 2x4 on the right. You also need an extension on your door jamb that will bring everything out 1/2" farther than the framing so that it is even with the drywall, because the door jamb is too narrow for the wall that it's in. Then you would trim the door with casing and it would lay flat on the drywall.

Old 03-02-24, 07:42 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shaving down header side view(s)

I'm not quite following, what you're suggesting to do. I've included two side views so that my issue can be more visibly understood. The view from the sides, looking up, shows the lower piece of drywall running up to the bottom of the board that I felt needs shaving. After looking at it closely, it's not a 2 x 4, but rather some type of furring strip, nailed into the board behind it. Prior to the garage remodel, the area that is the subject of this thread, wasn't covered by drywall, so cosmetics wasn't a question. I'm now wondering if I could pull this board, & replace it with something more appropriate to accommodate a full size piece of drywall.

Old 03-03-24, 01:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
pull this board, & replace it with something more appropriate to accommodate a full size piece of drywall.
Those pictures indicate you need to remove any lower drywall drywall is not flush with the top drywall... and shim the wall so that the framing is flush with the framing on top. Then your drywall will meet up flush with the existing drywall on top.

I'm saying to put a wood jamb on the door that will also come out flush with the surface of the new drywall. This is typically cut out of 1x on a table saw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: