oversized screw hole

Old 01-26-02, 01:08 PM
Visiting Guest
oversized screw hole

Table leg ripped off my kitchen table during a move (learned that only 2 of the original 5 screws were holding it on). The screws were (are) 3/4 inch X No.14. My problem is that the particle board underside of the table top which receives the leg/screws has been damaged so that the screwholes are now too large. Ive tried epoxy and plastic wood but to no avail...they simply will not hold... Have thought about making the holes even larger and gluing in a plug then predrilling the holes into the plug...but thought I would start here before I took that step....Any ideas

Old 01-26-02, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Before you go to the trouble of plugging and redrilling you might try wall anchors, the expanding kind normally used in drywall, etc.
Unfortunately particle board can be a bear to do anything with in some repair cases. Another possibility would be threaded inserts. These would require drilling a larger hole (about 3/8" I think) and threading the insert into the hole. You would then use a machine screw/bolt instead of a wood screw.

Here's a link to see what they look like; not sure if carried at Lowe's/Home Depot or not:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdet...ID=72&CATID=22

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: