chair rail

Old 02-19-02, 04:33 AM
littlegolfus
Visiting Guest
chair rail

We are putting chair rail in our foyer. We do have a round stair
way and a round closet in the foyer. How do we bend the chair rail to fit the walls. Thanks for any help you can send us. T. Robinson

Old 02-19-02, 01:33 PM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
Am I right in assuming the chair rail is on the outside of the circle?

The issue then is how tight is the circle and how often do you need to nail. Because if the circle is large, the wood will bend. If it is medium, the wood bends, but you need more nails. If it is small, you need to prebend the wood with heat and vapor.

What kind of wood the chair rail is made out of makes a diffence too.

I am assuming you already have sheetrock up, so there is no possibility to get a nailer behind the sheetrock and the chair rail.

An option to consider is making the chair rail out of several pieces. This only works, of course, if you have a chair rail design that can be made from several different styles of molding.

Old 02-20-02, 10:23 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
I pre bend the rail before I install use the wall at the floor..you can first try it dry secure one end and push the other as far as you can safly and let is set over night or a day or two keep adding pressure on the loose end until it makes it all the way around the turn, if it is an inside turn you will need to add presure to the center and keep adding until it fits in the turn...if the turn is too tight you will need to steam the wood first....Much Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: