Router table

Old 02-20-02, 08:55 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Router table

Dear all,

Please help me out! I have a hand-router Makita model 6102. As you might suspect I am quite limited when it comes to joinery and therefore I have decided to build my own router table. I already have some books that provide a step-by-step guide of how to build a professional one but in all cases I am stuck because of some limitation from my side. A typical example is when the book makes a reference to a particular bit which I cannot find in the market or is very expensive to buy.

Do you know of any websites that instructs you (in simple steps) how to build a basic and non-complicated router table? What are the main elements that make the table a 'router table'?

Thanks
ROBERT

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-02, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ROBERT,
There are maybe two or three things that make up a router table.
A router base, phenolic or the newer aluminum ones, a flat table and some type of fence. That's the minimum, but you can further add a dust collection hose or even a 110v switch on the front of your table, and bit elevators.
I made my table top from a 30'' piece of formica counter top mounted on a homemade cabinet.
You can get some good products or ideas from:
Rockle.com Highlandhardware.com Woodcraft.com

fred

Old 02-20-02, 06:48 PM
Rich Willems
Visiting Guest
WOOD Magazine did lots of articles on router tables and add-ons to router tables.

Apr 85, Issue 4 - Free standing, table top. I made this one. Its pretty easy. For the table top I was able to get a hold of a piece of white computer room flooring. Its a nice hard surface that doesn't scratch easily. The square was probably 2' square and 1-1/2" thick. I edged it nice so that it looked more like it belonged in a woodshop.

Feb 90, Issue 33 - Floor model.
Jan 93, Issue 58 - Build it to be an extension to a table saw.
Win 97, Issue 102 - Make a phenolic base for your router that inserts into whatever kind of table you make.
Feb 98, Issue 103 - Hinged table that attaches to your workbench and rotates out of the way when you aren't using it.
Nov 98, Issue 109 - Another floor model (with a tilting top).
Dec 01, Issue 138 - Benchtop, clamps to your workbench.

Curious how I found that article ?
Checkout http://www.rmwenterprises.com

Good luck,
Rich