Veneer repair/replacement on antique furniture

Old 02-26-02, 05:51 PM
L. Kent
Visiting Guest
Veneer repair/replacement on antique furniture

I have inherited a dining room suit (china cabinet, buffet, table & chairs) that needs veneer replace on all pieces. Will have to do it myself as I can find no one locally to tackle the job. Need help with Tecnique and tools as well as suggestions on locating veneer supplier.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-02, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
L. Kent,
Wow, you've got a big job ahead of you. You probably need to check out Consantines.com.
They carry all kinds of veneers and have literature on doing the work. Their catalogs are really good, order one on line.
fred

Old 02-28-02, 07:10 AM
L. Kent
Visiting Guest
Fewalt - RE: web address

thanks for your reply - i can't get that web sit to work am using consantines.com - if you get a minute check that please and let me know what I need to change.

Tkanks,
L. Kent

Old 02-28-02, 08:07 AM
L. Kent,
Sorry, I missed the T
Here it is: http://www.constantines.com/

or also try: http://www.vandykes.com/
fred

Old 02-28-02, 03:42 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
information source

Hi,
Try your library for books an furniture restoration, furniture repairs, maybe some how to books. You are in for a good job. Is the furniture a good quality of wood and craftsman ship? If you are trying to get it back to original that is great, but if you want to just replace the veneer because of its bad looks, you might consider putting on a laminate.
good luck

Old 03-01-02, 07:56 AM
L. Kent
Visiting Guest
Repair help

Trent,
thanks for the reply - have some help book on the way - do want to get it back to as close to original as possible - have found a somewhat local veneer supplier (Benton veneer, Benton Arkansas) that sounds like they will be helpful.
Hope to plan and research well before starting.
Thanks again
L. Kent

Old 02-26-07, 12:31 AM
M
veneer repairs

How are you with a sharp chisel?

1 at this stage do not remove the original finish(this helps to protect against glue marking )

I would find the appropriate veneer, match grain and hand cut and lay the veneer with an appropriate veneer Glue ( Matching being the important part), place a heavy weight and some clean sacraficial waxed baking paper (for when the glue runs out). When Dry lightly sand to blend the area.
As to glues I prefer animal glues due to their quick grab times and the ease of sanding any glue penetration)

If not go to Axminster power tools ( they do have a web site), check out Routing/ jigs. Here you will find a guide bush inlay kit that with the use of an appropriate router, will cut both veneer and table top for an exact match.

I recommend practice with an appropriate piece of scrap, before you attempt the table, but this system is really quite good.

Also look at axminster for veneer glues etc.

PS Remember to match thickness of veneers carefully. Dependant on the age of the piece the veneer can vary from 1/8 inch (or more on hand or saw cut veneer to the more modern 0.6 mm). I should say more is better as its easier to remove excess with sanding than to attempt to build up thinner veneers.

If you have a large amount to do (and the top is not a prized antique), it can be easier in the long run to find a good veneer shop, get them to calibrate (fine dimension sand to remove the existing veneer/glue), and re-veneer.

This shouldnt be too costly a job, most commercial veneer companys (in England), have a price for veneer and calibration per square foot (admittedly they may demand the finish is completely removed (it ruins the sanding belts), or charge the extra for new belts.
Afterwards its a fairly simple matter to re-edge the table (to remove the glue runs and excess veneer) with a router and appropriate cutter, or to take it to a good cabinet maker who with a matching jig will re form the edge with a Spindle Moulder.

Good luck

Last edited by Mark H; 02-26-07 at 12:59 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 02-26-07, 04:24 AM
need to check dates!!

Mark,

all that keying for a reply to a post that is FIVE yrs old

Old 02-26-07, 09:24 AM
M
sorry

Sorry will check dates in future, new to this stuff and having semi-retired after working in the industry for too long to remember, found the thread interesting.

Will try harder